Worth Browns /KoAloha Opio

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought a Acacia/Spruce tenor from the factory when I was there in November 2019. I really enjoy the uke, it has the original strings and has always been loud. Now it seems to be louder after in break in. The top is almost overdriving and I am getting a bit of distortion (like gain on an electric guitar). I am thinking maybe Worth Browns, is anyone using browns on an Opio acacia/spruce tenor?

Yes, worth browns will tame your KoAloha have done it few times but always went back to CTs because I want my KoAloha to rock and roll!

Go medium or light with your Worth Browns and they'll be nice and mellow. The extras or strongs might be too bright for your taste.

I have the solid acacia concert. Did not like the stock strings at first; sounded thin and brash for my taste, and the tension was too low for my liking. Put a freemont soloist low G and a set of worth brown mediums and it sounds 100% better. Much fuller and a bit mellower. I think the browns bring more of the tone of the wood out instead of from the strings. The tension of the mediums is just right for me.

I put the Worth Browns I had on (BTLG). They did exactly what I wanted and expected.
The uke is still loud, but the overdrive is gone. Warm full tone and great feel.

Top Bottom