Gotta Keep Looking

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I wanted to add black parts to my Aklot Bamboo uke. Amazon didn't have anything, but eBay did. I ordered a black nut and saddle three weeks ago, but they won't arrive from China till the middle of June - hopefully. I paid $2.70, delivered, but now they are $1.25.

I just looked on Amazon again, and they have the black nut and saddle, so I ordered the set. It will arrive on Wednesday, $6.70, delivered.

So, if you don't find what you want, keep looking.

I love a black nut and saddle. Would love to add both to my Kanile'a.

I wanted to add black parts to my Aklot Bamboo uke. Amazon didn't have anything, but eBay did. I ordered a black nut and saddle three weeks ago, but they won't arrive from China till the middle of June - hopefully. I paid $2.70, delivered, but now they are $1.25.

I just looked on Amazon again, and they have the black nut and saddle, so I ordered the set. It will arrive on Wednesday, $6.70, delivered.

So, if you don't find what you want, keep looking.

So are the ones from China still on the way, or could you cancel that order?

For $2.70 it's probably not worth the hassle of cancelling. Just keep them in the stash for the next need. My crystal ball tells me that Jerry's going to get another new uke. It's a bit hazy on exactly how many he'll get before mid June ;)

I ordered my set from Amazon in December when I also ordered the Aklot uke. I knew Chinese New Year was coming up so I avoided ordering from there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQ24UZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Here'a what mine looks like with black nut, saddle, stick on fret markers, strap buttons, string beads and strings.

Aklot black parts.jpg

For $2.70 it's probably not worth the hassle of cancelling. Just keep them in the stash for the next need. My crystal ball tells me that Jerry's going to get another new uke. It's a bit hazy on exactly how many he'll get before mid June ;)

No, I won't cancel. I like having extra parts. As for buying another uke, that's not in my plans. However, I did return the red Lava tenor yesterday, so I am down to 79. I have plans to make two more, one from a tennis racket and one using a license plate, so I'll see how that goes. If I keep at it, I'll have two more by June, but they're not top priority.

Here'a what mine looks like with black nut, saddle, stick on fret markers, strap buttons, string beads and strings.

Aklot black parts.jpg

That's very nice. Mine is basically monochrome now. I don't think I have black beads. I'll have to check. Where did you get them? I bought a bag of hundreds in different colors, but I suspect they're too small.

That's very nice. Mine is basically monochrome now. I don't think I have black beads. I'll have to check. Where did you get them? I bought a bag of hundreds in different colors, but I suspect they're too small.

I got two sizes just to make sure 4mm and 6mm, I used the 4mm, from JOANN Fabrics and Crafts, or any local crafts store. They come in a long string.

As for buying another uke, that's not in my plans.

It never has been in your plans, Jerry, but somehow, it just keeps happening.

I wouldn't know a thing about that.

-Kurt​

The new Cocobolo is supposed to arrive Monday,,,

Aklot black parts.jpg

Wow, that is really great looking. Nice going.

Aklot black parts.jpg

Looks nice, Mike! Gonna get a Kala bamboo ubass to match?

Aklot black parts.jpg

That's a great look!

Thanks, but you got me thinking. I'll ask Bruce what it would take to make it all bamboo with ebony details.

Has he built ukes from bamboo before? If he would offer some instruments with minimal decoration/inlays and just highlight the wood, I might be tempted, but most of what I see is overly ornate for my taste.

Has he built ukes from bamboo before? If he would offer some instruments with minimal decoration/inlays and just highlight the wood, I might be tempted, but most of what I see is overly ornate for my taste.

I don't know, but he's been very honest with me, if it's not up his ally, I'll stick with the spruce and walnut. He will make you any style or finish you want, not expensive either. He's made me custom tenor ukes and bass for prices that are less than half of what western luthiers charge. The bass uke I show above for $700 would easily cost $2000 or more here.

Top Bottom