Craving a Kala?

Yes, those particular K brands really kick arse tonally and dynamically compared to the Makala. Plus, are like butter under the fingers.

I see endless Makala 'ukuleles in my classes at Leeward Community College. Students walk around campus with them sticking out of their rucksacks. The budget laser cut Luna are popular too. The "rich" students have glossy finished Kala whereas middle aged male beginners and retired folk tend to have amazing sounding Kamaka, Koaloha and Kanile'a.

I don't know much about the history of ukuleles, but back in the days before Kala, Kanile'a, and KoAloha, back before cheap imports and Amazon, weren't Kamakas pretty cheap and common in Hawaii, amongst students and beginners? I wonder at what point they started becoming high-end instruments.

I see ancient Kamaka sopranos in my classes from time to time—usually borrowed from a grandparent—and those from the 1960s and 70s were not very well made. They made huge QC improvements in the 1990s and early 2000s. I don't think I've ever seen a rough build of an early Kanile'a (company is fairly recent) but early G-String, Sunny D and KoAloha can be on the rustic side.

I see ancient Kamaka sopranos in my classes from time to time—usually borrowed from a grandparent—and those from the 1960s and 70s were not very well made. They made huge QC improvements in the 1990s and early 2000s. I don't think I've ever seen a rough build of an early Kanile'a (company is fairly recent) but early G-String, Sunny D and KoAloha can be on the rustic side.

Yeah, my understanding is that Hawaiian ukuleles have just improved over time, compared to, say, Martins where many or most think the older the better.

Aw man, I would sit in on your class if I could! Maybe go out and grab a Makala so I could belong.

The topic is "Craving a Kala?" My answer is No.

Ever since Kala began producing Kiddy ukes, priced below $50 but still bearing the name "Kala" on the headstock, I feel the potential re-sale reputation of this brand has tanked.

The "K" brands had enough common sense to use different brand names for their lower priced ukes. Kala did not. Good grief!

Ko'Aloha is making the same mistake with their branding. They have removed the Opio name from that line and their new, even more budget line also only has the Ko'Aloha logo on the headstock face.

Opio instruments are frequently sold on Ebay & Various Marketplaces as: "Ko'Aloha Tenor". With Opio only mentioned in the body of the listing.

Talk about confusing. And diluting the brand's reputation.

Ever since Kala began producing Kiddy ukes, priced below $50 but still bearing the name "Kala" on the headstock, I feel the potential re-sale reputation of this brand has tanked.

The "K" brands had enough common sense to use different brand names for their lower priced ukes. Kala did not. Good grief!

Didn't Kala do it the other direction? Import cheap ukes and later start their all solid American made line?

As someone who gives away alot of ukes, I'm grateful to this company for bringing uke to the masses - for years.
Their $54 version (I like the KA-15S) is astonishingly playable for the cost. A lot of kids wouldn't otherwise own a musical instrument.

Kala played a major role in my own infatuation with the 'ukulele. When I started playing ukes in 2015, I visited a few music shops hoping to spend less than $250 yet chose a $380 Kala because it represented such a significant improvement over anything else at that price point (at least anything else I had physical access to at that time). That $380 investment was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

As an instructor, I value Kala's contributions and include them on my list of recommended brands and models. Not everyone buys their ukes from 'ukulele specialty retailers, and Kala brings to market some of the most affordable "real" 'ukulele that are both widely available through brick & mortar stores and generally ship from the factory well-setup and with acceptable intonation. I do have some legitimate concerns, but I could say the same of almost every designer/manufacturer/distributor and won't vent here. Kala is sincere in its mission to deliver a positive customer experience (while turning a profit of course), and I will continue to support them.

Oh really. I bought a white label Kamaka that looks like it had a rough life but sings like an angel. I can only hope that the modern Kamakas will survive as long. And yeah my 2000 KoAloha looks quite different from what they do now and I don't think it sounds as mighty but sure is very pretty. I would never trade any of these oldies for a new Kala.

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining that the average new Kala would play ball in the same league as the older, folksy Kamakas. The older Kamakas I've played have had some issues, but their tone quality was generally quite good.

That being said, I don't know whether I've played any from the late 60s or early 70s.

Oh really. I bought a white label Kamaka that looks like it had a rough life but sings like an angel. I can only hope that the modern Kamakas will survive as long. And yeah my 2000 KoAloha looks quite different from what they do now and I don't think it sounds as mighty but sure is very pretty. I would never trade any of these oldies for a new Kala.

I've seen many with crooked bridges, bad frets, terrible intonation, messy glue joints, etc. Back in the day, Kamaka had a contract with the DOE and sold hundreds, if not thousands, of rough made ukuleles. They were made in Hawaii but not not their best work... I know in those decades they also produced higher models that were wonderful instruments but these bottom of the line 'ukuleles are still in circulation here on Oahu, many with State of Hawaii DOE inventory numbers.

I've seen many with crooked bridges, bad frets, terrible intonation, messy glue joints, etc. Back in the day, Kamaka had a contract with the DOE and sold hundreds, if not thousands, of rough made ukuleles. They were made in Hawaii but not not their best work... I know in those decades they also produced higher models that were wonderful instruments but these bottom of the line 'ukuleles are still in circulation here on Oahu, many with State of Hawaii DOE inventory numbers.

That's oddly fascinating, Peter. Some of those flaws are certainly inexcusable. I suppose the low quality could have resulted from some combination of the DOE being unwilling to pay for decent instruments and unable to tell the difference and Kamaka perhaps biting off more than they could chew.

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge with us. I knew that some of the pre-90s Kamakas aren't up to their more contemporary standards, but I suppose Kamaka does what it can to prevent those DOE instruments from sullying their reputation abroad.

Ko'Aloha is making the same mistake with their branding. They have removed the Opio name from that line and their new, even more budget line also only has the Ko'Aloha logo on the headstock face.

Opio instruments are frequently sold on Ebay & Various Marketplaces as: "Ko'Aloha Tenor". With Opio only mentioned in the body of the listing.

Talk about confusing. And diluting the brand's reputation.

It seems different to me; I'm not sure why. Maybe because there are effectively just two series of KoAlohas right now: their koa and their Opio lines, whereas Kala has so many. I wouldn't be surprised if making their models similar helps their Opio sales more than it harms their koa sales.

I guess we'll see what happens with their KoAlanas, but I'm barely seeing any of those at all.

But yeah, it stinks when listings are misleading. Especially when it seems intentional. I've seen the same with Ponos listed as Ko'olau.

That being said, I don't know whether I've played any from the late 60s or early 70s.

I have, just a few. It was kinda hit or miss. They weren't terrible, but they weren't consistent either.

I've heard stories of kids literally dragging their Kamakas to school, banging them on things along the way. Sounded crazy to me, but if they were making cheap, educational models, that makes more sense.

I taught music in public schools on Oahu for a year and most things are purchased by bid and, of course, the low bid wins, not the best quality. The DOE purchased guitars were mostly unplayable. Wasn't a good career choice for me and I moved on to maintain my sanity.

I have an very nice 2017 spruce/myrtle Kala Elite Custom tenor I purchased here from a member in Oct 2018. Very full and rich sound. It has excellent projection and is easy for me to play with the 1-1/2" wide nut. Well made with high-quality woods and a lovely rosette, purfling and inlay fret markers and logo.

At that time, there were four levels of Elite instruments made in the US in California. Elite 1, 2, 3 and Custom. All of which have earned the Elite models excellent reputations for their sound and build quality.

I understand that the new Elite instruments may be even a bit better. Though I have not heard one yet.

They have the solid spruce topped, flame maple back and sides concert on clearance fro $209. That's a steal! That is one of their real gems.
Thanks Glenn, also super helpful.

Now to decide between the:

Solid Spruce Acacia Concert https://kalabrand.com/collections/clearance/products/ka-acp-ctg

or the Solid Spruce Flame Maplehttps://kalabrand.com/collections/clearance/products/ka-fmcg

I mean, it would be rude not to!

Any thoughts would be most welcome :)

Their KA-FMCG solid spruce top (spalted) flame maple is my lone Kala and I love it. Mine is much prettier with an abalone rosette and a more interesting grain pattern than the one shown on their site but with the clearance/sale price it would be about $82 less than what I paid for mine from one of their dealers. It's got a lovely chime and great sustain. I don't have much experience with Kalas but I could definitely recommend this particular model. I agree that it's a gem.

Last edited:
This sale is super tempting. I don't know what to do. I could save a significant amount of money over what I could find anywhere else on the internet and over similar options from other brands. Even if I ended up having to pay to lower the action I would save money. The problem is that the timing of this purchase isn't exactly right for me.

I signed up for the Kala newsletter/email. In it they offered a 10% discount on my first purchase. (Too bad I couldn't stack it.) The 20% off is what makes this a great deal. Is this discount something that is rare or is it offered from time to time in the course of a year? I'm caught between fear of missing out and waiting for better timing and hoping that the sale would be offered again months down the road.

Last edited:
I have a Kala Elite Spruce/Rosewood tenor arriving today. $300.00 off for a blemish, plus another $200 off from the discount code, free shipping, hard case and humidifier. Couldn’t resist.

John, that model looks wonderful.
I prefer a satin finish, and have the all hog version in both soprano and tenor.

I've actually had four of the Elites over the years in all sizes, because they're just so good (still have two). Often reduced way lower than K-brands, and just as good IMO.

Last edited:

Makala used to be the name of their entry level ukes. Has Kala discontinued that name?

Last edited:
Top Bottom