Craving a Kala?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Received an email from Kala: they are offering 20% discount during May with KALAMAY20 (received via email) and free shipping above $99.

That applies even to those ukes already discounted in Clearance, including this sweet all solid spruce/pau ferro tenor:

https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-srt-sc

Pretty tempting...

'Course, ukes direct from factory may need a set up.

Last edited:
I have a Kala Elite Spruce/Rosewood tenor arriving today. $300.00 off for a blemish, plus another $200 off from the discount code, free shipping, hard case and humidifier. Couldn’t resist.

They have the solid spruce topped, flame maple back and sides concert on clearance fro $209. That's a steal! That is one of their real gems.

This is a silly rookie question, but what does it mean that it will need to be "set up?" Can this be played out of the box, as these are such great deals, but I might not be able to get to a store for this set up for some time (lockdown).

This is a silly rookie question, but what does it mean that it will need to be "set up?" Can this be played out of the box, as these are such great deals, but I might not be able to get to a store for this set up for some time (lockdown).

Setup can involve several things, but the most important here are:

1. Adjustments to the slots in the nut and the height of saddle. You want the strings to be high enough above the frets that it does not buzz when you play it, but close enough to the frets that you don't have to push down too hard to fret. (This is typically collectively referred to as "the action.") If the action is too high, you also tend to get intonation issues when you are fingering frets that are higher up the fretboard, as pushing the string down to the fretboard makes too big of an angle relative to the normal flat string.

2. Ensuring that all the frets are level with each other, the entire way up and down the fretboard. Failing to do so will usually lead to buzzing when you finger certain strings on certain frets.

3. Ensuring that the fret ends are well filed. Failing to do so leads to sharp fret ends sticking out, which can be quite uncomfortable while playing.

Pretty much every manufacturer does at least a little bit on all three before it leaves the factory, but how much is "a little bit" can vary wildly. When you buy an instrument from a reputable dealer, they make all these adjustments before the instrument reaches you. The difference between a well set up cheap instrument and a poorly set up expensive instrument is night and day; and it favors the well set up one!

All of these are adjustments that you, the end user *can* do, with some patience, experience, and the right tools. It is all relatively straightforward, but that is not the same thing as easy! Done poorly, it can lead to an instrument that is practically unplayable. (It can usually be fixed by replacing the nut and or saddle.) Those who are really good at it (like Mim from Mim's Ukes) are practically artists.

Setup can involve several things, but the most important here are:

1. Adjustments to the slots in the nut and the height of saddle. You want the strings to be high enough above the frets that it does not buzz when you play it, but close enough to the frets that you don't have to push down too hard to fret. (This is typically collectively referred to as "the action.") If the action is too high, you also tend to get intonation issues when you are fingering frets that are higher up the fretboard, as pushing the string down to the fretboard makes too big of an angle relative to the normal flat string.

2. Ensuring that all the frets are level with each other, the entire way up and down the fretboard. Failing to do so will usually lead to buzzing when you finger certain strings on certain frets.

3. Ensuring that the fret ends are well filed. Failing to do so leads to sharp fret ends sticking out, which can be quite uncomfortable while playing.

Pretty much every manufacturer does at least a little bit on all three before it leaves the factory, but how much is "a little bit" can vary wildly. When you buy an instrument from a reputable dealer, they make all these adjustments before the instrument reaches you. The difference between a well set up cheap instrument and a poorly set up expensive instrument is night and day; and it favors the well set up one!

All of these are adjustments that you, the end user *can* do, with some patience, experience, and the right tools. It is all relatively straightforward, but that is not the same thing as easy! Done poorly, it can lead to an instrument that is practically unplayable. (It can usually be fixed by replacing the nut and or saddle.) Those who are really good at it (like Mim from Mim's Ukes) are practically artists.

Thank you SO much for this response--it is so generous and helpful.

Rich

It arrived. Looks good and sounds great. The blemish is less obvious in real life than in the pictures and the factory set up is actually pretty good. The also threw in a beachwood capo as a freebie for their “Christmas in May” promo.

To add to Cluze’s very thorough answer, yes it can be played out of the box - once you tune it of course. And it will need to be tuned a lot until the strings settle in.

I’ll go out on a limb and say the majority of Kalas never get anything beyond a factory setup. Yes, you can make minor improvements to the playability and intonation, but it can wait.

anything over cart value >200 should work.

To add to Cluze’s very thorough answer, yes it can be played out of the box - once you tune it of course. And it will need to be tuned a lot until the strings settle in.

I’ll go out on a limb and say the majority of Kalas never get anything beyond a factory setup. Yes, you can make minor improvements to the playability and intonation, but it can wait.

Thanks Glenn, also super helpful.

Now to decide between the:

Solid Spruce Acacia Concert https://kalabrand.com/collections/clearance/products/ka-acp-ctg

or the Solid Spruce Flame Maplehttps://kalabrand.com/collections/clearance/products/ka-fmcg

I mean, it would be rude not to!

Any thoughts would be most welcome :)

I find it interesting that Kala is now selling directly and apparently has quite sweet deals. I am familiar with Kala as the brand that is most abundant in stores and commands a lot of display space. So I assume dealers will not be happy if Kala is substantially undercutting the retail prices

I find it interesting that Kala is now selling directly and apparently has quite sweet deals. I am familiar with Kala as the brand that is most abundant in stores and commands a lot of display space. So I assume dealers will not be happy if Kala is substantially undercutting the retail prices

A lot of stores are closed right now and many of the smaller ones don't have online sales. I tend to think one of the reasons a lot of people like buying Kalas because they can try them out before they buy them. Once stores open again, probably Kala will drop the sale so they don't compete with their retailers.

I assume dealers will not be happy if Kala is substantially undercutting the retail prices

For a couple of influential perspectives on Kala's website pricing practices, watch episode 19.27 of The Ukulele Review's podcast.

The topic is "Craving a Kala?" My answer is No.

Ever since Kala began producing Kiddy ukes, priced below $50 but still bearing the name "Kala" on the headstock, I feel the potential re-sale reputation of this brand has tanked.

The "K" brands had enough common sense to use different brand names for their lower priced ukes. Kala did not. Good grief!

For a couple of influential perspectives on Kala's website pricing practices, watch episode 19.27 of The Ukulele Review's podcast.

Very interesting. Seems like the manufacturer/retailer relationship is changing. It seemed Andrew was pretty annoyed about it, although he said he wasn't trying to be confrontational.

I thought Kala did that with their Makala brand?

I see endless Makala 'ukuleles in my classes at Leeward Community College. Students walk around campus with them sticking out of their rucksacks. The budget laser cut Luna are popular too. The "rich" students have glossy finished Kala whereas middle aged male beginners and retired folk tend to have amazing sounding Kamaka, Koaloha and Kanile'a.

For many years now, storefront music shops have been fading into the mists and will probably meet the same fate as bookstores and record shops. Kala, like many other businesses, sells direct to keep sales afloat.

I see endless Makala 'ukuleles in my classes at Leeward Community College. Students walk around campus with them sticking out of their rucksacks. The budget laser cut Luna are popular too. The "rich" students have glossy finished Kala whereas middle aged male beginners and retired folk tend to have amazing sounding Kamaka, Koaloha and Kanile'a.

For many years now, storefront music shops have been fading into the mists and will probably meet the same fate as bookstores and record shops. Kala, like many other businesses, sells direct to keep sales afloat.

Yeah, but are they really that amazing sounding? :rofl:

Top Bottom