Thread: Cordoba Protégé U1MS Soprano Ukulele

Default Cordoba Protégé U1MS Soprano Ukulele

A few weeks ago, Musician's Friend offered this ukulele for $30. Knowing its normal price, I had to buy one.

Ultimately: not too impressed. For a ukulele that should be on par with the Kala KA-15 series, it sounds good but has a scruffy build inside and out. It isn't a ukulele to be avoided...but I'm not sure I would spend the $79 asking price that is currently out there on the internet.

I'll post the One Minute Review followed by my much longer UkeGuide review.

My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

I looked at the Protege Concert - very similar build, back in 2018. Similarly unimpressed and not comparable with similar priced Kala's etc.

To be honest, I am never really impressed by ANY Cordoba i've seen..
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Where did you get that tuner? it sure would come in handy when we have to tune 30+ ukuleles for a beginner class!

Right Baz, I started with a Cordoba concert uke, I was very underwhelmed. I finally sold it for half what I paid for it. I think they should stick to building guitars.
    Last edited by Nickie; 05-10-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    To be honest, I am never really impressed by ANY Cordoba i've seen..
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I think they should stick to building guitars.
    I have never tried a Cordoba uke, but I was fairly impressed with the C1m 1/4-size guitar as a baritone guilele. I sold it after getting a custom Jupiter to replace it. It's laminate so not the most complex tone and a tad on the quiet side, but overall quite pleasant. I think it's the best (only?) 19" scale guilele on the market.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

How about the 30 Series tenors? All solid woods (mahogany, acacia, etc), with wide necks. I'd expect those to sound better than the lesser Cordobas. Although I've never played a 30 Series, I've seen used ones for around $200.00.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Where did you get that tuner? it sure would come in handy when we have to tune 30+ ukuleles for a beginner class!

Right Baz, I started with a Cordoba concert uke, I was very underwhelmed. I finally sold it for half what I paid for it. I think they should stick to building guitars.

The tuner is a Jowoom Smart Tuner. I received one for review purpose, then bought 2 for my (previous)school, then received an updated model based on my review, and then last year received yet a further updated model. The others had been left at my previous school, so having the latest T2 was a blessing.

The other product on the market like the Jowoom is the Roadie tuner. I also bought (nothing given for review) 2 of the Roadie Tuners (at one point I was dealing with 120 ukuleles at the school i was at, and students helped me tune). Roadie's working on generation 3 of their tuner.

I like the Jowoom a lot--I like the size, weight, and battery life...as well as the automatic mode. I can put it on any string under "uke" tuning, and then play a note, and it will tune the ukulele to the nearest note. This isn't so helpful when you first string a ukulele...but once things start to settle, it's a big help.

I can tune by ear (with a reference pitch) or use a clip on tuner (or an app), but this is just faster and requires no special thought.

Oh...and the Jowoom is significantly less than the Roadie.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

I had a concert Cordoba which was just okay and I came very close to buying a 23T back in the day when I had to have a tenor, but I really like my cedar top baritone. But then maybe Cordobas get better when they get bigger, the whole guitar thing.
    Last edited by glennerd; 05-11-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    How about the 30 Series tenors? All solid woods (mahogany, acacia, etc), with wide necks. I'd expect those to sound better than the lesser Cordobas. Although I've never played a 30 Series, I've seen used ones for around $200.00.
    I wondered about those too. Weren't they designed by or with Pepe Romero?

Thread Information