Strings for a Magic Fluke?

haziz

Reaction score
I know this is a bit subjective, but what strings are you happy with on your Magic Fluke, and why? I have the laminate top concert.

Thanks.

I have a laminate top soprano Flea and I've tried the stock strings (D'Addario Nyltech), fluorocarbon strings (Martin and Worth), and Aquila Sugars on it. To be honest, I didn't find there to be that much difference between them in terms of sound. To me, the build of the instrument makes the sound quite bright and chimey regardless of the strings, although I'm guessing many will also disagree. However, my opinion is that you should go for the string that feels best for you and not worry about the sound that much. I'm guessing strings would make much more of a difference with one of the solid top models.

There's been lots of discussion in various threads here about it, and I seem to recall that the opinion leader was plain old Martin M600 strings. I certainly agree, and always use them on my concert Flea; nothing sounds better to me, after trying a few different sets.

Yes, the Martin M600 strings seem to be a safe choice for anything.

Yes, the Martin M600 strings seem to be a safe choice for anything.

Well, I just restrung my Ohana solid Mahogany tenor yesterday with Martin M620 (tenor size) fluorocarbon, and I love it! Much more lively, warm and resonant than the D' Addario nylon set it replaced (admittedly that was a low gauge "Soprano" set deliberately selected to lower string tension). I may see what it does on the Magic Fluke.

There's been lots of discussion in various threads here about it, and I seem to recall that the opinion leader was plain old Martin M600 strings. I certainly agree, and always use them on my concert Flea; nothing sounds better to me, after trying a few different sets.

To John’s point, fluorocarbons work particularly well on the Fluke/Flea instruments because the instruments are so loud. The nylgut/nyltech sound is muddy on those ukes. Martins offer a much cleaner sound, as do Fremont, Oasis, Worth, Living Water, etc.

I've got Seguar Blue Label fishing line on my Fleas, and they sound great!

Any fluorocarbon should sound fine, honestly.

I have Fluorocarbons on my tenor Koa Fluke and concert Flea right now, but I recently bought some of the new Martin premiums to try out.

Scooter

I have Martin 600 on my concert Flea which sound great and are comfortable to play.

Years ago when I had a fluke I used Worth strings and liked the results

I strung my concert flea with living waters and let Ken Middleton try it after letting him know how good i thought it sounded at the Reno ukefest and he said it should last for years on it.

Top Bottom