Season 430 - Travel

Hey, y’all! Steve, I think this is the first time I’ve ever submitted more than one entry for a SOTU — I am motivated — and having so much fun with this!!!! I even broke out my adorbs lil’ Kala orange (favorite color — makes me happy!) Waterman soprano ukulele for this one!!! Woot woot!!! I used to play this tune in my former uke group — here’s ‘Neil Young’s ‘Motorcycle Mama!’ Hope you like the ride, folks! :cool::D:)

Here is a song I wrote a few years ago about a journey on our local heritage railway, the North York Moors Railway. Steve is familiar with this one as he and I have travelled on it together a couple of times with three hundred others playing ukuleles. It's a fabulous journey through gorgeous country. The video features the railway.

That sounds like so much fun, Geoff! Was this a train ukulele festival — would love to know more about those trips! Sounds awesome! I’m off, now, to listen to your song and watch your vid! :)

That sounds like so much fun, Geoff! Was this a train ukulele festival — would love to know more about those trips! Sounds awesome! I’m off, now, to listen to your song and watch your vid! :)

These trips are organised by World of Ukes, a shop/teaching/events firm here in the UK. The Pickering to Whitby train takes about two hours (going very slowly) with carriages full of uke players sharing songs, with a couple of hours in Whitby to get something to eat and take over a pub for more singing. There have usually been concerts & open mics the evening before and afterwards in Pickering. I have just checked, and it looks like it isn't scheduled for this year, even if it beats the virus shutdown.

These trips are organised by World of Ukes, a shop/teaching/events firm here in the UK. The Pickering to Whitby train takes about two hours (going very slowly) with carriages full of uke players sharing songs, with a couple of hours in Whitby to get something to eat and take over a pub for more singing. There have usually been concerts & open mics the evening before and afterwards in Pickering. I have just checked, and it looks like it isn't scheduled for this year, even if it beats the virus shutdown.

Matt in Carlisle? Great bloke!

So, where have we travelled to these last couple of days? Amongst others there's been a nudist beach, a train ride to Whitby, a bus station, motorbikin' down the highway, and a nod towards wherever it is that much loved cats go to - let's hope there are balls of wool & cardboard boxes to play with.

Still plenty of days to go, and a lot of travelling to do.

Have they finally got the train to run to Whitby ? Last time I was aboard it only went to Grosmont and many people used to get off at Goathland ,do the "Heartbeat" tour and then walk to Grosmont to catch it back to Pickering. Great days out !!

Have they finally got the train to run to Whitby ? Last time I was aboard it only went to Grosmont and many people used to get off at Goathland ,do the "Heartbeat" tour and then walk to Grosmont to catch it back to Pickering. Great days out !!

Yes, they started going all the way into Whitby a few years ago. I have done that Goathland to Grosmont walk many times, calling at the Beck Hole pub on the way.

Marc Hinchey here - This is a song I discovered recently by one of my favorite songwriters, the late Jesse Winchester.

Last edited:
So, where have we travelled to these last couple of days? Amongst others there's been a nudist beach, a train ride to Whitby, a bus station, motorbikin' down the highway, and a nod towards wherever it is that much loved cats go to - let's hope there are balls of wool & cardboard boxes to play with.

Still plenty of days to go, and a lot of travelling to do.

whilst travelling on a coach on the Orkney isle the coach driver remarked if you look to the right you will see the buildings that housed the Italian POW's, and if you have been observing those buildings then you just missed it the nudist beach on the left

WOW!!! That sounds like so much fun!!! I’d love to organize something like this in the U.S. — you’ve given me ideas!!! :cool: :)

Hello Steve and everyone!

We just wrapped up a virtual open mic in Raleigh and I couldn’t stop playing. I figured we could use a trucker’s song or two ...

Season of the Ukulele 430 is Travel, and asks for "songs about going places, whether it's by plane, boat, road, foot, whatever." We're over 2 months into the 2020 Covid-19 shelter in place her in the Pacific Northwest, and we decided to stick out our thumbs and take our Old Seattle Medicine Show on down to Raleigh tonight....

Top Bottom