Lilly the Pink

Very nice - I have one suggestion for future videos, about lighting:

When you have a bright background like this, turn around. You need the light on you, not behind you.

If you are in a room with windows surrounding you, use a fill light of some kind. Actually using one from the left and one from the right (of equal strengths) will eliminate shadows, too.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Thanks Kurt,
There are actually 4 "stage" Lights aimed at us.
Lighting is one of the things we're learning, very diligently.

Is the ceiling light colored? Bounce two of them off of the ceiling, and move the other two closer.

The other question is, what are you recording this with? You can usually either modify the exposure before recording it, or afterward, during playback.

Thanks, the ceiling light is a slight yellow hue. We'll have to try some different light positioning, and our other thought is to close the blinds of the window and lose the view.
The other day there was a family of raccoons climbing that tree.
What I know about photography and lighting will fit in a thimble!

Hi,

Are you rehearsing for a public performance? If so, then I'd say it's good and ready to hit the local farmer's market on next Sunday : )

Just a few quick observations:

The middle player should not glance around especially at the side players because they don't glance back.

If there is a desire to look at the audience, then maybe consider not having the music up because you'll likely lose your place in the music anyway. If you need the music, then better to just look at the music instead of the audience.

Supposedly making eye contact with the audience is tricky to make it look natural. The last thing you want is to look like you are worried about a cop showing with an arrest warrant : )

Is the big ukulele a baritone trying to supply a bass beat? If so, I can't hear any of it (but I'm on a laptop with tiny speakers).

I'm not a very good live performer so I get a lot of tips from good players. So, take the above nit picks as coming from a nonexpert at implementing any of them.

Overall, a good performance; I really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it together.

thanks clear, Bill1, ksiegel.

We were performing about 5 or 6 times a month before coronavirus shut everything down. This was going to be an open mic song.

That big bari is a UBass. It mimics the sound of a stand up bass fiddle.

We'll try shooting the lights upward, but not at our faces.

We do try to memorize our stuff, but at our ages, it's hard. And by the way, the cops are looking for us! Shhhhh...

Last edited:
You will notice that the camera adjusted to the lighting and then went back to being dark. See if you can recapture that moment and lock the exposure in to that. If your using a phone, iPad etc. I think you can touch the screen to lock the camera on a face or several faces. And the camera will keep the best exposure to make the face the proper exposure and focus.

Bouncing the light makes it more diffuse. Which means less light on your faces and a more open aperture, so less depth of field. Everything is a trade off.

I think you're headed the right way for finding a solution.

Thanks Kenn. The light to dark to light effect was beyond our control. It was caused by clouds floating by.
We use a regular tripod mounted video camera. We've solved some of the lighting problems by buying more lights (cheap at Loews) and closing the blinds.

Top Bottom