Thread: Lilly the Pink

Default Lilly the Pink

We're still trying to put up a good video!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Very nice - I have one suggestion for future videos, about lighting:

When you have a bright background like this, turn around. You need the light on you, not behind you.

If you are in a room with windows surrounding you, use a fill light of some kind. Actually using one from the left and one from the right (of equal strengths) will eliminate shadows, too.

-Kurt
    Last edited by ksiegel; 05-11-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Thanks Kurt,
    There are actually 4 "stage" Lights aimed at us.
    Lighting is one of the things we're learning, very diligently.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Is the ceiling light colored? Bounce two of them off of the ceiling, and move the other two closer.

The other question is, what are you recording this with? You can usually either modify the exposure before recording it, or afterward, during playback.
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Thanks, the ceiling light is a slight yellow hue. We'll have to try some different light positioning, and our other thought is to close the blinds of the window and lose the view.
    The other day there was a family of raccoons climbing that tree.
    What I know about photography and lighting will fit in a thimble!

I meant to shine two of the lights up toward the ceiling, and let the light "bounce" downward. It also gives a spread to the light.

Here is an overly complicated article about bounce lighting, but it is still easier to read than some medical protocols.

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Hi,

Are you rehearsing for a public performance? If so, then I'd say it's good and ready to hit the local farmer's market on next Sunday : )

Just a few quick observations:

The middle player should not glance around especially at the side players because they don't glance back.

If there is a desire to look at the audience, then maybe consider not having the music up because you'll likely lose your place in the music anyway. If you need the music, then better to just look at the music instead of the audience.

Supposedly making eye contact with the audience is tricky to make it look natural. The last thing you want is to look like you are worried about a cop showing with an arrest warrant : )

Is the big ukulele a baritone trying to supply a bass beat? If so, I can't hear any of it (but I'm on a laptop with tiny speakers).

I'm not a very good live performer so I get a lot of tips from good players. So, take the above nit picks as coming from a nonexpert at implementing any of them.

Overall, a good performance; I really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it together.

thanks clear, Bill1, ksiegel.

We were performing about 5 or 6 times a month before coronavirus shut everything down. This was going to be an open mic song.

That big bari is a UBass. It mimics the sound of a stand up bass fiddle.

We'll try shooting the lights upward, but not at our faces.

We do try to memorize our stuff, but at our ages, it's hard. And by the way, the cops are looking for us! Shhhhh...
    Last edited by Nickie; 05-12-2020 at 10:37 AM.

You will notice that the camera adjusted to the lighting and then went back to being dark. See if you can recapture that moment and lock the exposure in to that. If your using a phone, iPad etc. I think you can touch the screen to lock the camera on a face or several faces. And the camera will keep the best exposure to make the face the proper exposure and focus.

Bouncing the light makes it more diffuse. Which means less light on your faces and a more open aperture, so less depth of field. Everything is a trade off.

I think you're headed the right way for finding a solution.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thanks Kenn. The light to dark to light effect was beyond our control. It was caused by clouds floating by.
    We use a regular tripod mounted video camera. We've solved some of the lighting problems by buying more lights (cheap at Loews) and closing the blinds.

Thread Information