Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Zoom ain't so great for recording ukulele videos

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Zoom ain't so great for recording ukulele videos

    Gonna be swamped with online teaching in the coming months. Thought I'd try to use Zoom and its recording function to try to make a quick video, but the sound quality is pretty bad. But I thought I'd post this video of Sam Cooke's "What a Wonderful World" as a memento of this time in our history:


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    The video's good enough for us to see that your playing and singing is as good as ever my friend, so thanks for sharing, but I must admit ZOOM has certainly messed with your sound. I'm not technical so don't understand why, but it's certainly put ME off from trying anything that way - I'm bad enough already as it is without ZOOM adding to my woes!!! lol
    Luv n stuff, Dave

    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

    * GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO RANGER 12 string
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

    * UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

    * OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Thanks, Dave! It might work better with a plug in mic, instead of the computer mic. But I don't think I'll have much time to make any ukulele videos for a while, anyway. I thought Zoom might be a good way to record a song quickly, but the sound was disappointing! :P

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    5,009

    Default

    There are setting in Zoom that will improve the sound. In the audio preferences, turn off 'Automatically adjust microphone volume,' next, in the lower right, click the Advanced button. Check the box for 'Show in-meeting option to "Enable Original Sound" from microphone.' Then in the Auto Processing section, change the two suppress settings to Disable, leave Echo on auto. Close the preferences.

    Back in the Zoom window in the upper left will now be the words Turn on Original Sound, click once on it so that it shows Turn off Original Sound. All these settings stops Zoom from controlling your audio. (The settings are preset for conversation, not music.)


    This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 05-10-2020 at 06:03 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Thanks for the help with Zoom audio settings, kohanmike.

    But why use Zoom to record video? Zoom is for live streaming; it is necessarily limited by the speed of your internet connection. You'll get better audio/video quality if you record directly onto your own computer. Which is at least as quick and easy as using Zoom. See this page for instructions: https://www.wikihow.tech/Record-from-a-Webcam

    You'd probably get still better results by pointing a smartphone in the right direction, turning on its camera app, selecting "video" and pressing the "record" button. Most phones (even cheapos like mine) have better mics and cameras than a webcam.

    All that said, I enjoyed your video. It ain't the technology that matters; it's the music. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Thanks, Michael and acmespaceship! Appreciate the tips for getting better sound on Zoom and the suggestion not to even use a webcam in the first place. I just wanted to see how it would be on Zoom. I've pretty much always recorded with a video camera, selected the best take, then worked on the video in post-production, but if I'm going to record anything in the coming months, I'll have to do away with post-production and record directly into my computer. We'll see! Things will get super busy starting today! :P

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Woodstock NY USA
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    There are setting in Zoom that will improve the sound. In the audio preferences, turn off 'Automatically adjust microphone volume,' next, in the lower right, click the Advanced button. Check the box for 'Show in-meeting option to "Enable Original Sound" from microphone.' Then in the Auto Processing section, change the two suppress settings to Disable, leave Echo on auto. Close the preferences.

    Back in the Zoom window in the upper left will now be the words Turn on Original Sound, click once on it so that it shows Turn off Original Sound. All these settings stops Zoom from controlling your audio. (The settings are preset for conversation, not music.)
    This is a much needed thread. Thanks Michael, for these Zoom settings, I forwarded to my ukulele group.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,801

    Default

    Post deleted
    Last edited by Nickie; 05-10-2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: MISTAKE
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    5,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acmespaceship View Post
    Thanks for the help with Zoom audio settings, kohanmike. But why use Zoom to record video? Zoom is for live streaming; it is necessarily limited by the speed of your internet connection. You'll get better audio/video quality if you record directly onto your own computer. Which is at least as quick and easy as using Zoom. See this page for instructions: https://www.wikihow.tech/Record-from-a-Webcam
    You'd probably get still better results by pointing a smartphone in the right direction, turning on its camera app, selecting "video" and pressing the "record" button. Most phones (even cheapos like mine) have better mics and cameras than a webcam. All that said, I enjoyed your video. It ain't the technology that matters; it's the music. Thanks!
    In actuality, Zoom does record directly to your computer, when done you can choose to save it to the cloud or your computer, but a dedicated mic and recording app is better. I started using a lapel mic connected to a mixer into my MacMini via USB and recording to GarageBand. Works very well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    This is a much needed thread. Thanks Michael, for these Zoom settings, I forwarded to my ukulele group.
    Glad to help. I'm the tech guy of our uke group and with meeting on Zoom now twice a week, I tend to be tenacious about learning the app. I also suggest that despite Zoom support saying it's fine to use virtual background, avoid it and quit any application that connects to the internet, especially if your connection is WiFi, I alway use my computer with a hard wire ethernet connection.

    When we have a meeting, I tell anyone on a smartphone or tablet to never have it upright, always turn it sideways, but sometimes a setting on the device needs to be changed to allow that, much larger image that way. That goes for shooting videos, never upright, always sideways.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Many helpful tips, Michael! Thanks again!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •