Higher tension soprano string?

camperman

Reaction score
I'd like a bit more tension on my soprano strings and retain gcea tuning. Any suggestions? I've certainly known different brands have slightly different tensions on my tenor and wondered if this is the same with brands for soprano scale? Is there any other way to achieve more tension? By the way I don't want a different tuning. I want to stick with gcea. Cheers.

Fremont offer strings in different tensions.

I have also found that Aquila Concert and Tenor to give higher tension on a Soprano.

Just be wary if your instrument can handle the extra tension. You may find that it bows the neck forward and Sopranos dont usually have truss rods to compensate.

Worth too. I tried Worth CD on a sopranino just because I couldn't get on with D tuning and they seemed to help.

Some strings are labeled as soprano/concert. Might possibly provide more tension than a dedicated soprano set. /speculation

Last edited:
If I were in the situation the OP stated, I would use tenor strings on the soprano. If the tension still wasn't stiff enough, I'd get something like Brown thick strings for a tenor

Top Bottom