Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paisen Rosewood Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

Default Paisen Rosewood Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

Oh... I see you are playing an Ova.... oh.. hang on...

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/05/...le-review.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Tell you what, at first glance I thought this one was a real looker, but looking at it more closely there's not a lot I personally like about it. There's a fairly recent thread on this forum discussing rope binding, and while this uke doesn't have rope binding per se, I think it suffers from the exact same problem many other ukes with rope binding do. The contrast with the colour of rosewood is too much for me. In fact, the binding looks like a zipper, not a fan at all. And I have to agree on the soundhole decoration. Derivative and not attractive in anyway for me. What I do like about the looks is the dark rosewood, even though it's only laminate. I'm a sucker for the dark chocolaty colour of rosewood, and I especially like that the fretboard matches the body perfectly. Judging by the video, I didn't think the sound was that bad for a fairly cheap laminate uke but it's certainly one-dimensional. Considering all that, I'm surprised this one got as high a score as it did.

Yeah - came out higher than i expected. But then.. the build is 'generally ok' and I do like the dark looks too. The price also drags the score up. Not a recommendation though.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Baz, I almost have a compliant. You’ve become such a standard part of my uke grazing that I felt your pain on this one. Maybe you should put some kind of warning label. The only thing is I’d probably get sucked in to seeing what had done it to you.

I think I have to think about this.

I must have gotten a better sample. There are absolutely no bridge issues with mine, and no evidence of excess glue on the linings. Also, the top and back are bookmatched perfectly. Tone is subjective, but I would rate mine better than average with enough low end (for a concert) to satisfy my ear.

Of course, noting the country of origin, variability from sample to sample is unfortunately to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffelele View Post
    Baz, I almost have a compliant. You’ve become such a standard part of my uke grazing that I felt your pain on this one. Maybe you should put some kind of warning label. The only thing is I’d probably get sucked in to seeing what had done it to you.

I think I have to think about this.
    Kind of like those labels they put on cigarette packs? How about this?
    Photo on 26-01-2016 at 20.20.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    I must have gotten a better sample. There are absolutely no bridge issues with mine, and no evidence of excess glue on the linings. Also, the top and back are bookmatched perfectly. Tone is subjective, but I would rate mine better than average with enough low end (for a concert) to satisfy my ear.

Of course, noting the country of origin, variability from sample to sample is unfortunately to be expected.
    To be honest, the scruffy bridge, poor bookmatch and glue inside really didn't take the score down that much. The sharp fret ends, narrow nut, terrible tuners and lazy derivative design did though.

But yes, tone is subjective.

Another good review Baz!
    I Cringe whenever I hear or read, "Amazon only."
    That's an absolute deal killer for me.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Another good review Baz!
    I Cringe whenever I hear or read, "Amazon only."
    That's an absolute deal killer for me.
    And for many - i'd rather not review them.. but.. I did this as a favour as had a lot of requests to take a look. It's been sat with me for three months.. Wanted to get it out of the way!

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    To be honest, the scruffy bridge, poor bookmatch and glue inside really didn't take the score down that much. The sharp fret ends, narrow nut, terrible tuners and lazy derivative design did though.

But yes, tone is subjective.
    Yes, they are cheap tuners. Mine aren't wobbly or causing buzz like you demonstrated in your video, but I attribute that to luck of the draw. No sharp frets here, either. The main point I'm trying to make is that a sample of one can be misleading. Thank you for the review.

Thread Information