More wood ID help... mahogany?

hoji

Reaction score
Someone gave me an old hardwood beam. Trying to figure out what it is....I'm thinking mahogany. Has no smell whatsoever, except old shed mustiness.

KIMG0845.jpg
KIMG0844.jpg
KIMG0843_01.jpg
KIMG0842.jpg

Thoughts?

Edit- now I'm thinking walnut. But I know what walnut smells like, and this does not have it. Maybe so old, the smell is gone?

Last edited:
Wow. Ok. I got into it a bit more. Still a mystery wood. Sure looks like walnut, but absolutely no odor. Whatever it is, it seems to want to be a ukulele.KIMG0850.jpg

But what if you want to make a pineapple?

It doesn't matter what it is now.
Some time in the near future it will be a ukulele. That's what really matters.
Miguel

I recognise that species...it’s definitely “Barnsley Koa” ( pitcieouse propsicus) used mainly by the NCB in the UK in the 1960’s. :rolleyes:

I sent in a sample to the USDA wood identification service. They identified it as Guibourtia Spp., aka Bubinga. This ia going to be one weird uke if I continue.. I'll need to keep it uite thin but it's going to heavy. I should save the rest for fretboards, a solid electric instrument, or flutes.

This is what I found as a tonewood:

As a tonewood, Bubinga has also been called African Rosewood which is a fair description of the tone although it is not yet used very extensively due to the difficulties faced with bending it.

Stephen Kinnaird is a big fan and says :"I have a growing appreciation for Bubinga. Visually it can be quite stunning, with deep curl, Pomelle figure, bees' wing mottle, etc. Even the plainer versions when well quartered are attractive.

The pinkish mauve color is off-putting to some, though I find it attractive. It is hard, heavy and dense. The interlocking grain, which makes the wood so attractive, also make for an exciting time at the bending iron. This wood can resist you with a stubborn determination. A good night's sleep is essential before bending.

The sound is so close to rosewood, that Bubinga well earns its nickname of "African Rosewood". That overtone structure one hears with rosewood is equally present in Bubinga, and yet at a reduced price tag. If one wanted a guitar with a traditional sound, but with more visual drama than Indian rosewood, Bubinga should definitely be considered."

Subjective tone...

I would classify this wood as providing a slightly dark and woody overtone content with a low to mid end predominance- much like Indian Rosewood!

Top Bottom