Latest new toy

Timbuck

Reaction score
Ken, I bought one of those from Pete Howlett, used. He obviously didn't like it for some reason. I found the drums(spindle) were not perfectly square to the table. They were square on one side, so I use it on that side if squareness is important.
You may have seen a reviewer on Youtube suggesting buying the large rubber drum( 3" I think), to make use of the large sanding sleeve that comes with the set of sleeves available. I did and it cost about £11 or so, but it will have it's uses. I find the machine very useful, in particular for thicknessing headstocks.
I'm always frightened when I see your new toy posts, that it might cost me , but this time I've got one already. Phew!
Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoqjNj9i9k

Last edited:
I've got the Ridgid version of that and I love it. I'm sure you will love yours too. Anything that speeds up sanding is a great thing to me.

Ken, I bought one of those from Pete Howlett, used. He obviously didn't like it for some reason. I found the drums(spindle) were not perfectly square to the table. They were square on one side, so I use it on that side if squareness is important.
You may have seen a reviewer on Youtube suggesting buying the large rubber drum( 3" I think), to make use of the large sanding sleeve that comes with the set of sleeves available. I did and it cost about £11 or so, but it will have it's uses. I find the machine very useful, in particular for thicknessing headstocks.
I'm always frightened when I see your new toy posts, that it might cost me , but this time I've got one already. Phew!
Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoqjNj9i9k
You are dead right about the out of square bit...I just spent an hour trying to sort it....I removed the front table and got rid of the spring steel strip that sets the table at angles co’s it was a mile out ..I removed the bottom cover plate and noticed there were 8 screws holding holding the motor assembly to the top table. The out of square part seems to be there...anyway I’ve managed to set the front table spot on for now. An easy fix to get the whole top square would be to fit a another top plate onto the original. Maybe some good quality ply or an aluminium sheet shimmed level....I’m a little bit disappointed with the quality, mainly the out of square bit and it’s a lot more noisy than my old one ..but for the price it’s not too bad...I notice that Grizzly do the Same machine in the US in green.

Yes Ken, I did think of adding my own table on top, but so far I've managed to use it without issue. Adding wood to the top wood obviously reduce the sanding capacity as well, and just recently I needed every last mm of it , sanding a F5 mandolin headstock, they are almost 4 inches wide!
As for quality, I think they are a bit plasticky but well designed, I have their midrange router also which is brilliant set into my own little table. I bought it because it has a rise and fall facility that can adjust the height of the cutter from above the table top by insert a kind of crank handle through a hole in the table. The safety features are also second to none.

After a few hours brooding and contemplating, I’m trying to decide whether to return it or not, and get a better one, I should have gone to Axminster in the first place..they always seem to come up with quality goods (apart from the Jet 10-20 that was a bad design). But I really like the oscillating sanding belt feature on this one and Axminster don’t have anything like that in the same price range just basic bobbing drum type with adjustable tables...so I’ll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.:confused:
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-ac140oss-bobbin-sander-105109

Last edited:
I wish you hadn't post this. :D

I've been doing a lot of sanding lately, and that looks very appealing. I'm using an older, larger version of the Skil pictured below, but buying tools is a good thing. :D

Skil Sander.jpg

After a few hours brooding and contemplating, I’m trying to decide whether to return it or not, and get a better one, I should have gone to Axminster in the first place..they always seem to come up with quality goods (apart from the Jet 10-20 that was a bad design). But I really like the oscillating sanding belt feature on this one and Axminster don’t have anything like that in the same price range just basic bobbing drum type with adjustable tables...so I’ll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.:confused:
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-ac140oss-bobbin-sander-105109
That’s it I’ve made my decision... I’m going to keep it and fix the out of square problem myself....I’ll make a video showing how I do it, for a bit fun :)

Last edited:
I'll find plenty of uses for em...they have magnetic tips, ok for picking up dropped screws off the floor to save bending down..and long enough for back scratchers..and my Son Mike seems to end up borrowing most my hand tools and never returns e'm :( so they won't be wasted

..and my Son Mike seems to end up borrowing most my hand tools and never returns e'm :(

This is a universal problem, Ken.
Somewhere in the family magna carta, there must be a clause absolving offspring from the obligation of returning 'borrowed' tools.
I have to remind my lot that the rules of inheritance don't apply until I'm no longer in need.
Searches for missing tools usually culminate in a phone around to sus out the culprit.

..and my Son Mike seems to end up borrowing most my hand tools and never returns e'm :( so they won't be wasted

My son Mike doesn't borrow my tools . I just misplace them. I'll search and search and then buy a replacement. The following day, the tool will appear. That happens with everything, not just tools, so I have lots of duplicates.

Top Bottom