NUD: Cocobolo Concert #460 (2nd)

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Okay, so now I have two Cocobolo concerts. #412, which I got through the lottery several months back, and added the MiSi pickup, and the Snakewood button. (And a case.) When all was said and done, this wonderful instrument set me back $739.00, and is worth every penny.

I just got Concert #460 - it was listed as a Second Quality- Keith said that the wood was darker than they prefer. So I entered the lottery, and won it.

I have extra cases, so chose not to get one. Therefore this little uke, delivered, was $478.00. It arrived yesterday, and I'm letting it sit for a while and acclimate; the strings were loose upon arrival, as expected.

Keith packed it very well - double boxed with lots of paper around the interior box, and then again around the bubble wrap surrounding the uke.

As I looked at the bubble wrap, all I could think of was "Wow! That is darker!" Then I realized it wasn't that much darker, it was wrapped in velvet.
001_ wrapped.jpg

When I unwrapped it, here's what I had:

002_concert 460.jpg

I had to compare it with my existing Cocobolo, of course. (new uke is always on the left, older always on the right)

003_ compare tops.jpg

004_ compare backs.jpg

And the labels, of course...

010_ labels.jpg

More photos next post

Last edited:
The view from the top, while playing:

005_compare up side.jpg

And the view from the floor:

006_compare down side.jpg

I haven't tuned it up yet, so I can't compare sound quality.

I did notice two things, which tell me that the ukes were built by two different luthiers:

The location of the back braces nearest the neck:

009_ compare top back brace.jpg

And the bridges. #412 is a string-through bridge, and #420 is a tie bridge.

008_ compare bridges.jpg

And, of course, both ukes came with maracas - the set with #412 were tied together with string, the set with #460 were loose.

I've already got videos posted playing #412; when #460 is ready, I'll post some there.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Wow, very pretty! Will one have a different tuning?

Congratulations!

I did notice two things, which tell me that the ukes were built by two different luthiers:

Huh. I thought it was a one-man operation. Can I ask: what made you want to buy a second of (roughly) the same model?

Huh. I thought it was a one-man operation. Can I ask: what made you want to buy a second of (roughly) the same model?

Well, as it is, I have two Ohana Vita Ukes - one the Mahogany laminate, and one the Rosewood. They don't sound the same; glad I have them both.For that matter, I have a total of 25 ukuleles now, including my bass uke; they all sound and play differently.

But I really like the sound of my Cocobolo, and for roughly half the price, It thought it was worth having another one - one with a pickup, one without. As it is, they look different, sound different (as the strings are setting), and if I choose to have one Low- G and one re-entrant, that's also a plus.

-Kurt​

Congratulations they are both beautiful. It is very interesting that the newer one has a tie bridge as opposed to the older one with a string through. The saddle seems shorter on the tie bridge and the string spacing seems a bit narrower, might just be the photo.

Regardless they are a great looking pair of ukuleles and I am sure you will really enjoy them.

Congratulations they are both beautiful. It is very interesting that the newer one has a tie bridge as opposed to the older one with a string through. .
It's my understanding that they've made a few adjustments based on reviews and feedback. Very praiseworthy, I think, for a business to adapt to customer feedback.

Lovely! I like the darker wood and the sides are really nice.

The operation has grown. I think they have more people doing different aspects of the builds. I am sort of surprised that they changed the bridge design. And am very curious about the different positions of the bracing.

BTW, If you every have a question about your uke, send Keith an email. He's very good about replying and answering your questions.

I don't know if it's just the grain pattern, but one looks wider than the other.
I do like the dark wood too. They're both beautiful.
I just wish they'd make their concert with a 15" scale. I know everyone says small hands shouldn't matter, but throw some arthritis in and that extra distance between frets can make playing painful. I'd love to have one

And, of course, both ukes came with maracas - the set with #412 were tied together with string, the set with #460 were loose.

-Kurt​

I've never seen the maracas untied. It must be because of the great Nicaraguan string shortage. :D

You might have read that Keith is now doing custom iukes, so 15" is within your reach.

Okay, two weeks, and the strings are almost settled in... at least, they are holding pitch through a song, and overnight none are going more than 50% low... So that's a win.

The sound of this new uke is great but the intonation isn't as good at the first Cocobolo I bought... and I think I've finally figured out why.

The bridge shapes are slightly different, which is to be expected on a hand-built uke. If it bothers me, there is a local shop (Parkway Music in Clifton Park) that several of my professional musician friends have recommended; when they don't do their own work (set-ups, replacing tuners, minor fret work) that is where they go.

0530201539.jpg 0530201536.jpg

0530201538b.jpg 0530201536b.jpg

Top Bottom