FS: Ono, Collings and Collings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arob54

UU VIP
Reaction score
I was in a pretty serious boating accident last winter and have some mounting medical bills. I am selling 3 of my nicer ukuleles to cover some of those medical bills.

I purchased all of the ukuleles used and were all were players in their previous lifetimes, so there are no like new collector pieces available. As such, there are typical playwear markings along with a few small finish blemishes, dents and dings. Any other issues are called out in each instruments description below. Please see each instruments photo album.

All prices include usps priority shipping to CONUS and PayPal fees. Payment accepted via PayPal good and services only. No trades.

PM or email arob54(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for looking

18” Ono Wahoo Tenor - SOLD

Collings UT2 #903 - SOLD

Collings UT2 #1028 - SOLD

Last edited:
FF583965-D6-BC-420-A-A0-EC-8990372-E04-D4.jpg

FC330-D75-CE90-41-D1-972-F-AD502-F10-E85-F.jpg

8-A0-D4037-FD68-4-B67-B1-C5-34812-A6-D02-BA.jpg

Howdy,

Just an FYI... I am obviously not familiar with what actual damage may have (or may not have) been done to this ukulele because of too much humidity, but there definitively should be a gap between the edges of the bridge and the top on all Collings ukuleles. This was done intentionally by Collings. The bridges are routed around the edges so that the edges of the bridge will extend slightly over the finished top of the ukulele (I hope this makes sense).

Secondly, I don't know what exactly is meant by "waviness", but there should be a little bit of a "belly" in the bridge area of a Collings ukulele.

Lastly. I'd like to add that these seem like good prices. Not too long ago, I sold one of my custom figured mahogany UT2's for $2200. I have another custom figured UT2 that I've twice been offered $2400 for. Mine both had/have the edition of purfling. Even though I can't play a ukulele at the moment, I've been holding onto my last one because it is such great instrument.

Stay well,

Ryan

Agree with everything Ryan said about the Collings ukuleles. Without seeing them first hand, I can't fully judge, but from what you say and from your photos I don't see anything egregious here at all. Certainly appreciate the full disclosure though. Those are indeed some great instruments and someone will be stoked to get them. Sorry to hear about your misfortune and best of luck with the sales.

-Steve

I appreciate the responses from both of you. It is not egregious by any means but it’s present, and more so than the other one. Neither Collings or the luthier were concerned, but I’d hate for someone to get it, take issue and feel it was undisclosed.

Thank you for the well wishes, it was a tough lesson learned the hard way...do not try and stop a wind provoked fight between the dock and the hull of a boat with your hand/wrist/arm.

Good luck with the sale Andy. I'm still playing (and loving) the Moonbird tenor you sold me last Fall. Andy disclosed minor blemish stuff about the Moonbird, most of which I never would have noticed, none of which were any big deal. Straight-up seller!

Arob54 is a great guy! I can vouch for him.
I need to sleep over it, but might just pick up one from here..

Hey Andy! (Sneaky "Mayberry RFD" reference.)

Really sorry to hear about your boating mishap. That really sucks. I hope you recover quickly.

I purchased a Ko'Aloha tenor from Andy last year. Excellent transaction for a terrific tenor. And a great guy.

Best of luck man. I hope everything works out.

Thanks for all the votes of confidence Gordon, Kernel and Ken. I appreciate it. Thanks for all the inquiries from everyone, I believe I have replied to all the PM’s. Please reach out if you haven’t heard back from me.

Man, that sunburst Collings is gorgeous! I'd be sorely tempted if I weren't already covered up with ukuleles, and just recently purchased a few more.

I know that Andy is a straight-up guy, and he's meticulous with his ukes. He bought a Mainland Concert from me in 2018 and then later sold it here, highlighting blemishes I hadn't even noticed in the five years I owned it! You can buy any of these instruments with confidence from Arob54.

Last edited:
Man, that sunburst Collings is gorgeous! I'd be sorely tempted if I weren't already covered up with ukuleles, and just recently purchased a few more.

I know that Andy is a straight-up guy, and he's meticulous with his ukes. He bought a Mainland Concert from me in 2018 and then later sold it here, highlighting blemishes I hadn't even noticed in the five years I owned it! You can buy any of these instruments with confidence from Arob54.

Thanks bud, I appreciate the kind words. You’re dead on about the looks of that sunburst, but as nice as it looks the best thing about it is the tone. Collings work with mahogany absolutely changed my opinion on the potential of Mahogany as a tonewood.

I fortunate to be able to buy the Collings mahogany #903 offered by Arob54. It is a wonderful instrument. And, as expected, it fully lives up to the Collings' reputation. But more to the point, I want to say that the little flaws that Andy pointed out in his description are just that—little. So little in fact, I have to look very hard to see them. Even the buckle rash is very faint, just in the surface of the finish and can only be seen if I angle the light carefully. My UT2 arrived in really excellent condition and plays like a dream.

I have been told by two luthiers that it is not unusual to have a little space under the corners of the bridge of a tenor. That you don't want a totally glued down bridge because the sound board will move and if the bridge is attached completely, it can crack the top. I own two luthier-made tenors that exhibit the very same thing. And they weren't over-humidified.

If you ever wanted to own a gorgeous Mahogany Collings with the bonus of a beautiful sunburst finish; for a very reasonable price, that includes CONUS shipping, now's your chance. (You know you want to. :) )

I'm not affiliated with Arob54 in any way. I'm just a very happy new owner of a terrific Collings Mahogany UT2 Tenor. A big check off my bucket list.

PS: The Ono Wahoo is also a fantastic 18" tenor.

Last edited:
Ken- I’m super happy it worked out and arrived in good order and most importantly you’re enjoying it. That one definitely stings to see go, but I k ow it’s in good hands.

I'm sure I’ve probably scared some away with my descriptions, but when spending this kind of money I really want to be forthcoming with everything that I’ve noticed about each instrument. As the posts above indicate, I may be a little over picky in pointing out items. The Ono and Collings are not perfect as the day they were first sold, they have a little bit of “character.” If I were rating the each on a scale 1 to 10, they would probably be 8.5/10.

I’ve bought and sold a number of Ukuleles on this site and as typically the case, I will pick up the fees and make sure it’s packaged correctly and fully insured for your purchase price.

Price drop on Collings UT2 #1028 - now $1375 OBO shipped CONUS

Last edited:
TTT

I am open to a 3-day inspection period to any buyer.

If you inspect and/or take it to your luthier and end up not being completely satisfied contact me within the 3-day period and ship it back to me at your cost (in the same condition as I sent it) and I will refund all but my initial shipping cost to you.

I am in Victoria BC. I like the Collings Uke but my experience with bridges that are lifting slightly is that they should always be repaired to prevent any further lifting that could result in tear out.
I would like to offer you $1000 and then pay for it to be shipped directly from you to Collings for repair. They may even do it under warranty b

I am in Victoria BC. I like the Collings Uke but my experience with bridges that are lifting slightly is that they should always be repaired to prevent any further lifting that could result in tear out.
I would like to offer you $1000 and then pay for it to be shipped directly from you to Collings for repair. They may even do it under warranty b

No offense, but did you read all of the posts in this thread? The OP stated that he purchased the ukulele used. That means that he is (at the very least) the second owner. Most warranties (including the one supplied by Collings) are non-transferable. The OP also stated that the "damage" (if it is actual damage) was caused by the "humid coastal climate" that the previous owner lived in. I personally do not know of any musical instrument warranty that would cover "damage" caused by excessive humidity. On a side note, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that if the repairs would be covered under a warranty (and were actually needed), that the OP (or a previous owner) would have already had the repairs done? It may do you well to contact Collins directly and inquire about their construction methods. I tried to explain how Collings ukulele bridges are attached to their ukulele tops, and how the tops have a slight belly earlier in this thread, but the folks at Collings may be able to explain things better.

Stay well,

Ryan

Collings Phone: (512) 540-3433
Collings Email: customerservice@collingsguitars.com

Last edited:

There is nothing wrong with this uke. Collings does not glue down the edges of the bridge. This is purposeful. I know this because I sold once sold a Collings uke and the buyer had concerns. I unwound the transaction and had the uke shipped back to me. I have a friend who is tight with the whole Collings crew and he connected me with the people who build and inspect them. Multiple people from the Collings shop team, including the Master Builder, looked at pictures, had me on the phone show them how far I could slide paper under the edges, etc. and confirmed for me what I stated above. Also, it is absolutely normal for a spruce-topped Collings uke to have some wave in the top. This is because the top is purposely very thin to maximize tone and they have thoroughly tested them to make sure they are durable. So long as the bridge isn't dished forward, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom