Adding a button to a Ken Timms uke

Suekulele1

Reaction score
Hi I am used to playing with a strap but am nervous of drilling into my new Ken Timms uke arriving tomorrow, what do you think/suggest?

If you're nervous about drilling it yourself, take it to a competent luthier or repair shop and have them do it.

You could also try a half strap like the UkeLeash. I prefer to have a pin but I keep a half strap for ukes I don't want to drill or new ukes that I haven't added a pin yet or that may not be staying long term.

If you're nervous about drilling it yourself, take it to a competent luthier or repair shop and have them do it.

You could also try a half strap like the UkeLeash. I prefer to have a pin but I keep a half strap for ukes I don't want to drill or new ukes that I haven't added a pin yet or that may not be staying long term.
+1 to looking into other straps. I tried ukeleash and seems just fine in supporting while playing. I have also ordered classical guitar/sound hole/ Jake style strap as it goes with any uke, has minimal time to get going and while playing if offers support (with the downside that you can’t leave a uke hanging around your neck without having a hand on it which is true for uke leash as well). I have too many ukes that do not have a strap button and I don’t want to change them in any way. Drilling a hole and putting a knob is intrusive..

I've drilled a number of my ukes and bass ukes no matter how expensive the uke was, takes me about 10 minutes. I drill a small hole by hand in both the tail and end of the neck, screw in the button with a felt pad, done.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If you can wait, it doesn't seem like something you need to do right away. Maybe you can try it out without a strap or with one of the half straps others have suggested. If you still want a strap button later, you can always add one. But you can't take it back after. And if installing it yourself makes you nervous, it should be inexpensive to have done at a guitar/uke shop or luthier. One thing to consider is if you think you're ever going to sell it. Some people won't buy ukes with strap buttons added. Just something to consider.

I'm kinda conflicted about it myself. I prefer ukuleles clean without strap buttons, but as I learn increasingly difficult fingerstyle pieces, I'm having a harder time moving my fingers around the fretboard while still holding the uke.

Still, a strap will make these shenanigans more difficult.

Hi I am used to playing with a strap but am nervous of drilling into my new Ken Timms uke arriving tomorrow, what do you think/suggest?

I now add a strap button to all of my Ukes but for a long time I wouldn’t do so because of potential resale value damage, none of my Ukes is remotely as valuable as a Timms. In the first instance I suggest that you try some form of Uke leash, they work reasonably well if not (IMHO) as well as a full strap. The sound hole supports work for some people but I wouldn’t advise using one because of the damage risks and the need to buy a particular design variant (ie. some models don’t work well and some are, I think, OK at best).

If you have to have a strap and, like me, decide that Ukes are for using rather than being just financial investments then fit a strap button but make a very tidy job of it. If the don’t have the time or hand skills to do the task yourself then have a suitable craftsman do the work for you. Don’t trust your Timms to anyone, see their work first and (critically) judge it for yourself. For anyone else who buys a Timms from the man himself I’d suggest asking him to fit a strap button to the lower boute before despatch.

Last edited:

At first, I was hesitant, but now I just drill away, although I haven't put buttons on my better ukes. Put painter's tape where you will drill, and find the exact center. Using a piece of paper and folding it in half is a guaranteed way to find the center. Select a small drill bit and make the hole. If you meet much resistance when driving the screw, drill a slightly larger hole. You can also back out the screw a couple of turns and drive it some more. Be gentle. Be sure to use a felt washer under the strap button. There is a huge assortment of buttons available. I try to match the button with the uke.

Thank you so much for all the answers. I’ve now got the uke and I am struggling without the strap, I’ve just got too used to it. I am going to order a half strap that doesn’t need the button to see how that goes and hopefully I won’t need to drill.

Top Bottom