NUD: DIY soprano cigar box uke

tonyturley

Reaction score
My soprano cigar box uke is made from a Davis 1886 Redwood box I got from fellow forum member David, and the neck and bridge are from mgbguitars.com. I used Graham MacDonald's drawing to determine bridge and brace locations.

I let it hang on my drying rack for a couple weeks or so to let the finish cure, and the strings I ordered just arrived yesterday. I strung it in the wee hours of the morning today. This instrument is truly tiny, far smaller than any instrument I've built or even held. This is my first instrument smaller than a tenor, and my first re-entrant tuned uke. Not sure that I like the tuning. I'll give the strings (D'Addario EJ87S Titanium) time to settle and see if I change my opinion. As a long time guitar player, re-entrant just doesn't sound right to me.

P5140002.jpgP5140001.jpg

Nice! If you don't like reentrant after using awhile (they come in handy jamming with other people though more have low g now), just throw on a low g. I have one on my soprano and like it just fine. Most people don't like it but heck, it's your uke, do what you like.

Nice! If you don't like reentrant after using awhile (they come in handy jamming with other people though more have low g now), just throw on a low g. I have one on my soprano and like it just fine. Most people don't like it but heck, it's your uke, do what you like.
Thanks. I just happen to have a spare Freemont Blackline Low G laying in front of me. Might give that a try.

Top Bottom