Kala Ukulele's - do they need a lot of setup out of the box?

lycokayaker

Reaction score
Hey Gang

Im looking at taking the plunge on a Kala but have always bought from a dealer and had them do setup. So do Kala's typically need a lot of setup or do they come from Kala pretty well setup? Thanks for any insight!

Varies

I've seen some that do, some that don't. On the whole though they are better than average in my experience. Kala have a pretty good QC system in place. But still, things can slip through.

I've seen Mim (from Mim's Ukes) mention on this very forum that Kala ukes generally require more setup than Ohana, for instance, which surprised me. Both are better than average I'm sure but personally I would always prefer to buy any Chinese-made uke from a dealer.

From what I've seen, Kalas always have very good intonation, but action is always a little high at the nut. They are playable out of the box, but would be more comfortable with a little adjustment.

I bought three Kala Elites—two direct from Kala and one from HMS—during the past year and all needed action adjustments. The nut was okay but all were set 3.25 to 3.5mm at the 12th fret. I prefer 2.75 to 3mm and set up them myself once they were up to pitch a few weeks (wood settles in). Action settings are very personal and builders tend to set a little on the high side to accommodate more customers. I'd much rather receive a new instrument set high and adjust down over one set too low and have to cut a new saddle. I have a friend whom likes 2.5mm and lower and his instruments have to be played too carefully and buzz on fortissimo. I realize it's subject to my memory, but I felt his instruments lost considerable volume after the action were set to 2.5mm or lower.

Any "production" ukulele will likely benefit from a setup. In some, it may be a very close inspection to make sure QC did its job. So it seems as if the OP is asking what are the odds a Kala would come with a good setup if I ordered from a place (maybe direct from Kala) that did not do setup. I would rather ask why not order from one of the highly recommended reputable dealers that do setup at no additional charge? These might include The Ukulele Site (aka HMS), Mim's Ukes (have to order now on a Friday morning, lol), The Ukulele Republic, and perhaps others. You can converse with them to customize the setup (like the action at the 12th fret, high or low G or different strings, etc.).Going this route, the odds are likely greater than 95% that you will be happy and have a wonderful setup on your new cherished ukulele.

I bought three Kala Elites—two direct from Kala and one from HMS—during the past year and all needed action adjustments. The nut was okay but all were set 3.25 to 3.5mm at the 12th fret. I prefer 2.75 to 3mm and set up them myself once they were up to pitch a few weeks (wood settles in). Action settings are very personal and builders tend to set a little on the high side to accommodate more customers. I'd much rather receive a new instrument set high and adjust down over one set too low and have to cut a new saddle. I have a friend whom likes 2.5mm and lower and his instruments have to be played too carefully and buzz on fortissimo. I realize it's subject to my memory, but I felt his instruments lost considerable volume after the action were set to 2.5mm or lower.

This is sound advice. Also keep in mind that a new uke particularly one of solid wood will change over time so typically a setup occurs when the uke is one or two years old and it has stabilized. Only get a new uke setup if its really difficult or impossible to play.

That's certainly true for many ukuleles and guitars as well. I had to do a second adjustment on my Kremona Mari and Coco a year out, but they have small broomstick like necks. Two of my Romero Creations had to be readjusted within a year as well. So far the Kala Elites haven't moved one iota after 7 or so months but they have a thicker neck (my preference) and thrust rod and might fare better than their broomstick brethren.

Honestly comes down to funding.... I found a 20% off code for kala and the dealers aren't offering those or maybe I don't know about it. Im torn between the Solid Acacia Tenor and the Ziricote Tenor from Kala

Any "production" ukulele will likely benefit from a setup. In some, it may be a very close inspection to make sure QC did its job. So it seems as if the OP is asking what are the odds a Kala would come with a good setup if I ordered from a place (maybe direct from Kala) that did not do setup. I would rather ask why not order from one of the highly recommended reputable dealers that do setup at no additional charge? These might include The Ukulele Site (aka HMS), Mim's Ukes (have to order now on a Friday morning, lol), The Ukulele Republic, and perhaps others. You can converse with them to customize the setup (like the action at the 12th fret, high or low G or different strings, etc.).Going this route, the odds are likely greater than 95% that you will be happy and have a wonderful setup on your new cherished ukulele.

Honestly comes down to funding.... I found a 20% off code for kala and the dealers aren't offering those or maybe I don't know about it. Im torn between the Solid Acacia Tenor and the Ziricote Tenor from Kala
Be aware of the fact that a set up can run you $50 or more, and the dealers like Mim and HMS (and others) are doing it for free. They will inspect your particular uke, which you can personally pick out so you know what you're getting, and they'll make any adjustments needed. I know Mim will find blems on ukes sent to her by these manufacturers, and she'll sell them as blems with a price reduction. Probably more important to you, I've found that the uke shops' selling prices are generally lower than the Manufacturer's Retail Price anyway. And they often have financing available. So all in all, for what you're getting, I think a good uke shop is a better deal, and cheaper, than getting a uke drop shipped directly from the company even though the 20% sounds tempting. I recently bought a Kala from HMS. They had to go through a couple of them to find me a nice one, and I would not have been happy with the first one that was pulled. It's beautiful and the action was set perfectly, so it's a joy to play. I got a savings on the case too. The win/win on this, I saved money buying from them rather than the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I agree with Cadia 100%. I get great FREE set-ups when I buy from Matt at alohacityukes -- plus free strap buttons & low G on request. In my experience, drop ship factory ukuleles are a crap shoot as to quality.

With Kala and Ohana, I always suggest buying from a dealer who does set-up if you don't want to do it yourself. Barry's list on Got a Ukulele is pretty complete, but Aloha City Ukuleles should be on that list...I don't know about U-Space in California.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-stores.html

Interesting that your choice is between a solid acacia tenor at about £350 and a laminate ukulele at about £170?

Like many on this forum, a few years ago I got a Kala ASOV-S from Overstock.com at a crazy low price. It was fine out of the box.

Top Bottom