Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kala Ukulele's - do they need a lot of setup out of the box?

My Kala Baritone was very playable right out of the box. No problems since and that was in September 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by lycokayaker View Post
    Honestly comes down to funding.... I found a 20% off code for kala and the dealers aren't offering those or maybe I don't know about it. Im torn between the Solid Acacia Tenor and the Ziricote Tenor from Kala
    Be aware of the fact that a set up can run you $50 or more, and the dealers like Mim and HMS (and others) are doing it for free. They will inspect your particular uke, which you can personally pick out so you know what you're getting, and they'll make any adjustments needed. I know Mim will find blems on ukes sent to her by these manufacturers, and she'll sell them as blems with a price reduction. Probably more important to you, I've found that the uke shops' selling prices are generally lower than the Manufacturer's Retail Price anyway. And they often have financing available. So all in all, for what you're getting, I think a good uke shop is a better deal, and cheaper, than getting a uke drop shipped directly from the company even though the 20% sounds tempting. I recently bought a Kala from HMS. They had to go through a couple of them to find me a nice one, and I would not have been happy with the first one that was pulled. It's beautiful and the action was set perfectly, so it's a joy to play. I got a savings on the case too. The win/win on this, I saved money buying from them rather than the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Cadia; 05-17-2020 at 02:43 AM.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

I agree with Cadia 100%. I get great FREE set-ups when I buy from Matt at alohacityukes -- plus free strap buttons & low G on request. In my experience, drop ship factory ukuleles are a crap shoot as to quality.
    Make UU smile: Support the Forum.

With Kala and Ohana, I always suggest buying from a dealer who does set-up if you don't want to do it yourself. Barry's list on Got a Ukulele is pretty complete, but Aloha City Ukuleles should be on that list...I don't know about U-Space in California.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-stores.html
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by lycokayaker View Post
    Honestly comes down to funding.... I found a 20% off code for kala and the dealers aren't offering those or maybe I don't know about it. Im torn between the Solid Acacia Tenor and the Ziricote Tenor from Kala
    Interesting that your choice is between a solid acacia tenor at about 350 and a laminate ukulele at about 170?
    Ukuleles owned:-
    Laka VUC50 Soprano
    Laka LK-JBC Joe Brown Concert
    Rubin RS101 Zebrawood Soprano
    Barnes & Mullins UBJ1 Concert Banjolele
    Sinye YA26 Mahogany Tenor

I've bought several, and they were fine out of the box. I suppose the dealer matters, too, but no complaints from me.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Like many on this forum, a few years ago I got a Kala ASOV-S from Overstock.com at a crazy low price. It was fine out of the box.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Vorson, Zither Heaven, First Act

Thread Information