Pick(plectrum) or just bare fingers?

Alex Warm

Reaction score
I am a beginner and new to all these musical instruments. Being a student I use to pluck string with pick especially when I am learning something, but when I tried to make something out of my mind or just playing around with my instrument I use bear fingers to make sound. Also I don't know If you can really use fingers to make sound. I have hurt my fingers too quite a bit. What would you recommend I should use frequently considering I am a Student.

Most ukulele players don't use picks, but some do, especially people who started with guitar. Personally, I think a thumb pick makes a lot more sense than a flat pick. This video is a good tutorial:

I know I went through this same dilema. I started using picks to produce enough sound. I also could not get comfortable using any combination of fingers and thumb.

I am still brand new and have totally transitioned to not using a pick quite naturally. My guess is that over a few weeks you may too.

I prefer picks on steel string guitars for strumming and lead play. For ukulele with the thick synthetic strings it is much better to play with fingers. You have much more control over playing and sound. Thumb picks are often used by expert fingerstylists but using additional tools always adds the burden of learning correct technique and finding one that's most suitable. With uke we are so fortunate that it works great without a need for additional accessories. Keep it simple for most enjoyment.

Because of my background in acoustic and electric guitars, I started with a pick on the ukulele but quickly ditched it in a couple of days. I started with a pick because I mainly felt I'm not accurate with my fingers at plucking individual notes; however, I realized that ukulele sounds more uke with the fingers. The only issue I've ever had with picks is that I can't do Travis picking styles with them, I can only manage pinch techniques; so I don't think pick will hold you back. But I'm a student too; a beginner student at that.

I use my fingers from the beginning, because I think I can feel the strings better. But when I play it, I always hit another string.

Fingers all the way for me; but whatever works for you is good.Be happy and confident in your playing,however you create the sounds!

Top Bottom