New Klos all carbon Uke - get the sound port?

besley

Reaction score
So I just received the final check out from Kickstarter on the Klos 100% carbon uke I ordered. One of the options available is the addition of a sound port for an additional $90 (marked down from a regular $140).

I've never had an instrument with a sound port. What's everyone's opinion on these? Good, bad? Hype? Worth the money? I guess I was also surprised to see that it is placed on the lower bout rather than the upper.

UkuleleFullCarbon_BackRightHole_95de9750-438b-484c-850a-70e46d553448_large.jpg

I have a number of ukuleles with sound ports and I am a big fan. It makes a difference to the player, it sounds louder with more clarity. Now this is with the side sound port in the normal upper bout location. I have no idea what possessed Klos to put it in the lower bout. EVERY high end, well regarded custom builder puts it in the upper bout, closest to the player face for greatest effect.

I also have several ukes with side sound ports,,.....but like Dave above they are all on the upper bout. They do really assist in projecting some volume toward the player. This lower bout sound hole is new to me. The way I play and hold the instrument, I would think that my strumming arm, which normally rests on that bout would block the sound hole. I would be interested in any reasoning from the builder.

The sound hole gives you a better sense of the higher frequencies which emanate from the 'ukulele's soundholes in a rather directional fashion. As long as you can see into the port, I don't know how much its exact location matters. I suppose you'll get a less "close up" sound when the soundport is a little further away from your ears.

I had a custom tenor uke cutaway made from a design by the builder, no top hole but with small sound holes all the way around the bouts and a large one in the cutaway. I've been told it projects very well, it sure sounds good to me.

Spalted done montage.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Klos might be taking a cue from some guitar makers who put them on lower bouts. I think it's a little weird (looking) for both instruments, but I haven't actually played one with the lower bout port, so I can't say how well it works. And Klos also makes guitars, I think, so maybe they have some rationale there. Maybe ask them why the lower rather than upper bout.

I talked with KLOS guitars today about the sound hole and they said the only reason was they put their electronics in the upper bout when someone orders one with a pickup. He also said where it’s located shouldn’t be blocked by your arm. So I guess no scientific reason just a matter of necessity!

Just my opinion here, I would not get the side sound port and in particular am not fond of it being in the lower bout. My Klos hybrid/cf tenor is plenty loud...I can hear it easily... which makes me think you could save your $90 for a bunch of string sets or a nice strap for the new uke.

The only tenor I have with a sound port on the lower bout is my Hoffmann ML. Of course it has a very odd shaped upper bout. It works very well. It is aimed directly at my right ear and head as I play and projects a clear sound to my ears.

I have found that several sound ports in upper bouts are positioned more towards the waist. Which points it downward and away from the players ears, IF the uke neck is angled upward and away from the body as I play it. Other have the port on the curve of the upper bout. Which points it more towards my left ear or face.

I wouldn't reject it because the KLOS port is on the lower bout.

The port does provide the player a clearer idea about how the uke sounds to the audience than a uke without a port does. It's not a huge difference. I will say, a couple of my tenors with very large side ports are almost too loud if I'm playing by myself at home and I dig in and strum hard. I like them, but I won't, not buy, a tenor because it doesn't have one.

Is it worth $90? Only you can answer that.

Top Bottom