Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 8-string uke. Love it? Not a fan?

As a player of 12 string guitar in a previous life, I eventually got hold of an 8 string ukulele, Interesting and certainly a fuller sound, but somehow it was neither fish nor fowl to me. So I passed it on to an enthusiastic friend. I suppose if I wanted the 'full sound' my brain was conditioned to 12 string guitar
    (which I no longer play at all) but as a ukulele addict, the real uke sound was lost on an 8 string (IMO). So back to 'real' ukes, the four string variety!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Love it! It's like playing a duet with myself. I have a Baton Rouge ($133 delivered from Germany) and a Kala, and I love the sounds they both make. There are no restrictions on where and when to play an 8-string.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/01/...ing-tenor.html
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

An 8 string can work wonders for baroque music as well :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB4lps7ZfG8

Enjoy!

A large balance of "fun money" in my PayPal account is feeding my UAS and she's a powerful temptress. In the past I said I wouldn't ever fall to her call but I have and she's calling again. The devil on my left shoulder is whispering, "Buy! Buy!" I've listened to that whisper several times. I ended up selling 3 of those and kept 3. The angel on my right shoulder is whispering, "Slow down! Think!" In this particular case, I think that voice is going to prevail.

Multiple people have said that an 8-string is more or less a niche instrument for them and I think in the back of my mind that it would be the same for me. I'd love to play one and I think it would be a lot of fun but after having listened to a bunch of YouTube sound samples I don't see an
    8-string as a daily player for me. I think it would end up as something that I would would reach for every now and then or for certain particular songs. I've been down this road before with the idea of getting a banjo uke and a resonator. I ended up concluding that they each had a distinct sound that departed enough from sound of a "regular" uke that those too would have been niche instruments for me.

I might have ruled out an 8-string but that hasn't silenced the call of UAS. Now I've been looking into a 5 or 6 strings or maybe even a vita. I'm a concert guy so some of those choices may not even be a possibility.....
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I think with ukuleles now, it would be better to sit on your hands for a while. We're about to go into a recession. prices have dropped already.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I've been down this road before with the idea of getting a banjo uke and a resonator....or maybe even a vita
    Everyone needs an 8-string, a banjo uke, a resonator, and a Vita Uke. While you're at it, look for a camp uke, a cigar box uke, a sopranino, and a sopranissimo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Everyone needs an 8-string, a banjo uke, a resonator, and a Vita Uke. While you're at it, look for a camp uke, a cigar box uke, a sopranino, and a sopranissimo.
    Jerry you may be that devil whispering in my ear!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chris667 View Post
    I think with ukuleles now, it would be better to sit on your hands for a while. We're about to go into a recession. prices have dropped already.
    Is this true? (I'd like to think so!) In all my years browsing ukes online I don't recall ever seeing price drops. For the most part vendors selling the same uke model would ask the same price. If there was a difference, it was usually pretty negligible. Occasionally a vendor might offer up a sale but that was pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Jerry you may be that devil whispering in my ear!
    Yes. I learned that from the other devils who whispered in my ear.

I have a Kamaka HF-38 and love it. Sounds great and is very playable. I use it a lot when accompanying steel guitarists, it fills out the mid range nicely. If there are other ukulele or guitars it can be a lot of competition for that range so I’m less likely to use it in those situations. I also tend to stay a little lower on the fretboard than with a 4 string. I wouldn’t have an 8 string as my only instrument but I’d have it as #3 (after high g and low G 4 strings). Definitely try the one your considering first though, quality really makes a difference in terms of playability.

Here’s a video of Corey fujimoto playing one: https://vimeo.com/187300615

Thread Information