Your 8-string uke. Love it? Not a fan?

I had an Ohana concert size, all solid mahogany 8-string, had it tuned all re-entrant taropatch style, with Living Water, had a great sound. I just enjoyed playing my Kanile'a so much more, I sold it. Several friends have the Ohana spruce top tenor, one lady from Hawaii plays hers almost exclusively.

I have a vintage Oscar-Schmidt taropatch that I love.
Here is a writeup on the instrument by Jake Wildwood who did much repair work for me. It includes a sound sample you can listen to.
I also have a newer Oscar-Schmidt 8-string (ou28t) that is very good but gets played less. This is a personal preference for my vintage piece.

I have a 1996 Kamaka 8 string and I love it!!!

I have a couple of 8 string ukuleles and they do sound great, yet as someone has already said, twice the strings is also twice the fretting pressure so they can be hard to play.

A really well built/accurately built instrument can sound twice as good yet a poorly built instrument can sound twice as bad and they are more difficult to keep in tune.
A good one sounds glorious when strummed yet I also finger pick on mine but it is a fraction more difficult to pick on compared to a 4 string instrument.
As a professional instrument they do provide a certain sound if your willing to work at it yet as an amateur instrument, are you willing to put in the extra work to make them sound fantastic or would it just end up being a burden to you?

I have a couple of 8 string ukuleles and they do sound great, yet as someone has already said, twice the strings is also twice the fretting pressure so they can be hard to play.

A really well built/accurately built instrument can sound twice as good yet a poorly built instrument can sound twice as bad and they are more difficult to keep in tune.
A good one sounds glorious when strummed yet I also finger pick on mine but it is a fraction more difficult to pick on compared to a 4 string instrument.
As a professional instrument they do provide a certain sound if your willing to work at it yet as an amateur instrument, are you willing to put in the extra work to make them sound fantastic or would it just end up being a burden to you?

I think I'm off an 8-string uke but I am now looking into 6 string ukes. (G Cc E Aa) (or maybe a 5-string uke)

Last edited:
Top Bottom