Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown Entertainment

Default Lockdown Entertainment

I'm not even shopping for a new ukulele, but I kept checking Mim's online store this morning to see how quickly she'd fill her weekly quota.

The store shut down in 5 hours!
    Glenn

I've been watching it every week as well. Pretty fascinating.

On the one hand, I feel bad for Mim, since she gets slammed every week. On the other hand, I am happy that she is getting a lot of customers!

I should have been keeping track, so we could plot it. I know it has been going on for several weeks in a row. Can we crowd source this? Anyone remember these? I'll edit them in. We'll call it "Mim Watch: 2020." :-)

Friday Date: Cap hit (hrs):
    10 April 2020 ?
    17 April 2020 ?
    24 April 2020 12
    01 May 2020 ?
    08 May 2020 6
    15 May 2020 5
    22 May 2020 8
    29 May 2020 7
    05 June 2020 31 (limit hit on 06 June)
    12 June 2020 12
    19 June 2020 48+ (Did not see exactly when, but was after Sunday morning.)
    26 June 2020 5 days (closed following Wednesday evening.)
    03 July 2020 CLOSED for time off. Will re-open 10 July.
    10 July 2020 Sometime Friday night, so ~12 hours. Left store open until 8 AM EST on 11 July.
    17 July 2020 Sometime Saturday. Kept shop open until 10 PM, Saturday 18 July.
    24 July 2020 1.5 days. Mim has moved most of her inventory off of Reverb, to her own platform. I think you can now window shop after she "closes" for the week.
    31 July 2020 1.5 days (Sometime Saturday, during the day.)
    07 Aug 2020 ~1.5 days (Hit cap early Saturday, but stayed open until 4 PM)
    14 Aug 2020 Unknown. (Cap hit before 7 PM Sat 15 Aug.)
    21 Aug 2020 Mid-afternoon Sunday, ~2 d 8h. (Closed store 5 PM Sunday)
    28 Aug 2020 I missed when cut-off happened. Sorry...
    04 Sept 2020 ~2.5 days (Sometime late Sunday. Storefront closed Monday morning.)
    11 Sept 2020 ~4.5 days (Storefront closed late day on Tuesday)
    18 Sept 2020 ~4.5 days (Storefront closed late day on Tuesday)
    15 Sept 2020 ~2 days (Storefront closed sometime between Sat PM and Sun AM)
    02 Oct 2020 ~4.5 days (Storefront closed late day on Tuesday)
    09 Oct 2020 ~4.5 days (Storefront closed late day on Tuesday)
    16 Oct 2020 ~3.5 days (Storefront closed 9 PM on Monday)
    23 Oct 2020 Did not cap. (I believe this is the first time since April.)
    30 Oct 2020 Did not cap.
    06 Nov 2020 ~5.5 days (Storefront closed late Wednesday)
    13 Nov 2020 ~6 days (Storefront closed sometime between late afternoon Wed and Thurs morning)
    20 Nov 2020 ~4.5 days (Storefront close late Tuesday)
    Last edited by Cluze; 11-24-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

I think it was 6 hours last week and 12 the week before?

... Actually 12 hrs April 24 according to her instagram
    Last edited by glennerd; 05-15-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    Glenn

It's good news thar someone has made some money while pandemic has been on,most companies here in the UK are worried that they will go bankrupt. I had heard that some music shops here had a rush on acoustic instruments early on before the shops were forced to close.

I've been watching her each week as well, to see what ukes she has up. I didn't make it on this week though.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Well, this week (Friday 22 May) it was 8 hours.

Bless you Mim, for all you do!
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadia View Post
    I've been watching her each week as well, to see what ukes she has up. I didn't make it on this week though.
    Same. I wonder if she would benefit from having her own site. I feel like it's just turning into a vicious cycle at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    Same. I wonder if she would benefit from having her own site. I feel like it's just turning into a vicious cycle at this point.
    Site isn't really the issue, I don't think. The issue is that she is a one-woman operation. Mim personally does every setup, and she only has so much time in the week. Once she hits what she can do in a week, she shuts off orders. Even if she had her own site that showed the inventory all the time, she still could only open orders until she hits the limit.

Her supply (of labor) is far exceeded by the current demand. While it is better than the opposite problem, it has got to be quite daunting.
    Mainly a concert player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post
    Even if she had her own site that showed the inventory all the time, she still could only open orders until she hits the limit.
    That's true (and something I appreciate about Mim's business). I guess it seems like having a small window to view and order might exacerbate the rush. I wonder how (or if) it would affect people's buying behavior if everything was visible and her quota was ongoing instead of resetting on Fridays.

I feel like she's leaving money on the table by not hiring/training others to do setup. But I think she's said her current system is not only for quality control, but also to help manage work-life balance. I have a lot of respect for that.

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    I'm not even shopping for a new ukulele, but I kept checking Mim's online store this morning to see how quickly she'd fill her weekly quota.

The store shut down in 5 hours!
    I don't understand. She shut down because she's sold out?

EDIT: Okay. Understood.

"My website is working. I am not closed or out of inventory. I just sold as many ukuleles as one person can set up in one week! And this week I sold out in 8 hours. But never fear, my shop re-opens on Friday at 8am... but... if you don't want to wait... please do not go running to the big box music retailers with no customer service or quality control. They are doing ok, they don't need your business. May I suggest you contact one of my "Friends of Mim"! Check out my new Friends of Mim page by clicking the image below and SHOP SMALL BUSINESSES! We are all in this together and I know they will give you a great ukulele buying experience!"
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information