Talk me into our out of a Mainland Mahogany Tenor

Rosinante

Reaction score
Talk me into or out of a Mainland Mahogany Tenor

First off I would like to introduce myself to the forum. After 20+ years of guitar and due to way to much extra time due to covid quarantine I bought myself an Ohana CK-10 on a whim from Mim. I had no idea what I was missing. I picked up the new tuning pretty fast and due to my experience with music theory and fretted instruments have been accelerating quickly. I started by learning You Belong To Me(not Tonight You Belong To Me, the other one with Pyramids etc) got into some other golden oldies. I have already written a pretty good song of my own and want to add a decent uke with a pickup for when we can start doing gigs and open mics and things when the world starts opening up more.

For the price the Mainland Mahogany Tenor with pickup seems hard to beat especially after reading all of the great reviews for Ukes in this price range here on this site. I’m definitely wanting a Tenor because I am quite tall and have rather long fingers and think a little longer scale length would go a long way for comfort.

So a couple questions for you more experienced uke folks. Are there other instruments of similar quality and value in the $300-400 range? Based off my entry level Ohana I would think some of their mid level offerings would be ok?
Is it worth it to buy a uke with a pickup preinstalled, or better to buy a higher quality uke and maybe put a pickup in after the fact?

I really had no idea how much fun a ukulele could be, I plan on giving the ck-10 to my daughter as she has been showing interest and actually wants me to teach her to play an instrument for once.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU! Mainland would no doubt be an excellent choice. Aside from Ohana, Kala is another one of those very popular brands around that mid-tier price/quality range, but I often try to encourage people to try to check out some other, more interesting brands. Pono is probably a brand many others will mention. They are one of the best mid-tier options in my opinion, but it's good to know that they don't make the loudest ukes if that matters to you (Mainland don't make either, btw). Flight is another, maybe a bit newer brand which I really like, and they have some interesting designs imo. Islander is the Chinese-made offshoot of Kanile'a, a very revered Hawaiian uke manufacturer, so can't go wrong there. If you're really a fan of more quirky designs then the Magic Fluke ukuleles are fantastic, and US made as well. Kai is not as well-known a brand as the others but really good value for the money and they offer some features that others don't at the mid-tier price point, like a side soundport on all of their models. Do note that some of these suggestions might not be easily available for you depending on where you live.

Oh, and about your pickup question, I find it's generally better to find an instrument you really like and have a pickup installed rather than limiting yourself only to models with a pickup preinstalled.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU! Mainland would no doubt be an excellent choice. Aside from Ohana, Kala is another one of those very popular brands around that mid-tier price/quality range, but I often try to encourage people to try to check out some other, more interesting brands. Pono is probably a brand many others will mention. They are one of the best mid-tier options in my opinion, but it's good to know that they don't make the loudest ukes if that matters to you (Mainland don't make either, btw). Flight is another, maybe a bit newer brand which I really like, and they have some interesting designs imo. Islander is the Chinese-made offshoot of Kanile'a, a very revered Hawaiian uke manufacturer, so can't go wrong there. If you're really a fan of more quirky designs then the Magic Fluke ukuleles are fantastic, and US made as well. Kai is not as well-known a brand as the others but really good value for the money and they offer some features that others don't at the mid-tier price point, like a side soundport on all of their models. Do note that some of these suggestions might not be easily available for you depending on where you live.
I’ve seen the Flight stuff and was impressed by the looks but didn’t see a lot of info and reviews. I’m more impressed with overall tone than overall volume of an instrument. Just something that sounds nice to sing with and if I need volume that’s where a pickup would come in. I’m not expecting miracles at this price point.

I’ve seen the Flight stuff and was impressed by the looks but didn’t see a lot of info and reviews. I’m more impressed with overall tone than overall volume of an instrument. Just something that sounds nice to sing with and if I need volume that’s where a pickup would come in. I’m not expecting miracles at this price point.

I'll agree with Dohle's comments, although if you're sure about the pickup, preinstalled is often cheaper than purchasing and installing a pickup after the fact.

That said, I would recommend looking at Ponos, which even without a pickup might stretch your budget a bit, but I think have excellent tone if not volume. One thing to consider is how quickly you'll be upgrading. Some people would be happy to stay for a long time with a Mainland, which I think is one of the better offerings at their price range. Others will quickly keep upgrading to better and more expensive ukes. Since you have experience with guitars, you might have a better idea about your own upgrading habits. With that in mind, I think Ponos are not outgrown as quickly.

Another thing to consider is buying a second hand ukulele, which can put a better uke in your hands for your budget.

The Mainland mahogany is a nice ukulele. I have it in concert size. No complaints. As far as the pickup, Mike installs the MiSi pickups in those ukes and you are going to be hard pressed to find a better and more versatile pickup. They are really nice and they are not cheap. I like Ohanas and even have one that I think is comparable, but I would say that the Mainland with that MiSi pickup is the best value out there.

Last edited:
I'll agree with Dohle's comments, although if you're sure about the pickup, preinstalled is often cheaper than purchasing and installing a pickup after the fact.

That said, I would recommend looking at Ponos, which even without a pickup might stretch your budget a bit, but I think have excellent tone if not volume. One thing to consider is how quickly you'll be upgrading. Some people would be happy to stay for a long time with a Mainland, which I think is one of the better offerings at their price range. Others will quickly keep upgrading to better and more expensive ukes. Since you have experience with guitars, you might have a better idea about your own upgrading habits. With that in mind, I think Ponos are not outgrown as quickly.

Another thing to consider is buying a second hand ukulele, which can put a better uke in your hands for your budget.
I would say it isn’t unlikely that someday I would have a Kamaka or some such, but that is a long way off, I’m a one instrument person. One acoustic, one electric, and one uke now although I hear UAS is worse than GAS. I prefer having one nice instrument that I know well. I have a custom tele style from a friend that is a luthier and a Gibson J45 worked my way up but really only had one at a time. But for now the uke budget is $400 max for a good performer.

I would say it isn’t unlikely that someday I would have a Kamaka or some such, but that is a long way off, I’m a one instrument person. One acoustic, one electric, and one uke now although I hear UAS is worse than GAS. I prefer having one nice instrument that I know well. I have a custom tele style from a friend that is a luthier and a Gibson J45 worked my way up but really only had one at a time. But for now the uke budget is $400 max for a good performer.

I am also a monogamous player. Because of that fact I want to warn you of a $400 ukulele. When I upgraded to my $400 ukulele, it gave me a taste of the upper-level instruments. I couldn't just let it go. So eventually I had to get an excellent ukulele for $2200. And since I'm monogamous, I had to get rid of the $400 ukulele. For me, that $400 was a complete waste and I should have just stood pat with my $200 laminate ukulele until I could afford my Kamaka. It would have saved me $400. I just wanted to throw that out there. I know it is completely predicated on one's personality. My personality couldn't abide a middle-of-the-road ukulele whereas other personalities can. I'm just offering data.

They have good reputation and at that price range you are probably looking at an all solid wood instrument. Basically in this mid range the ukes are fairly generic and main differences are cosmetic as they are mass produced on similar specs in similar factories. As a rule if there is a lot of decoration and bling on a mid range uke it is a good indicator that it lacks basic musical qualities. So more plain looking ukes may reflect better musical qualities. Also there are some differences in neck sizes and shapes or bridge designs that can have functional meaning for players. If you have preferences in these aspects then it helps to do some research.

I think Ponos start at around $400, which I think fits for your use as a performer and your gradual upgrading. But that's without a pickup. If $400 is your max, I don't think a Mainland with a pickup is a bad way to go. And you can get some of their tenors without the rope binding if you dislike it. As others suggested, Ohanas are decent as well. Kalas are not my favorite brand, but they can make good ukes for the price, and you'd have several options to fit what you're looking for. Flight has been making good impressions with their cheaper ukes and seem to be trying to expand into mid-tier ukes. They have more presence in Europe, but they've got several tenor options with pickups under $400, if you'd like to be a guinea pig. Islanders are supposed to be a good value. Recently, KoAloha reintroduced their own budget line, KoAlana, but they seem difficult to find. If you can find one and have a pickup installed, that would fit your budget. And Breedlove makes a (imported) tenor I like, which comes with a pickup and goes for about $300 before tax.

If it were me, I would go with a Breedlove or Mainland, although I wouldn't rule out the Flight or KoAlana, mostly because I'm curious.

I mentioned used as well, I think a second-hand Pono or Mexican Martin fit your budget and might make better performers.

I am also a monogamous player. Because of that fact I want to warn you of a $400 ukulele. When I upgraded to my $400 ukulele, it gave me a taste of the upper-level instruments. I couldn't just let it go. So eventually I had to get an excellent ukulele for $2200. And since I'm monogamous, I had to get rid of the $400 ukulele. For me, that $400 was a complete waste and I should have just stood pat with my $200 laminate ukulele until I could afford my Kamaka. It would have saved me $400. I just wanted to throw that out there. I know it is completely predicated on one's personality. My personality couldn't abide a middle-of-the-road ukulele whereas other personalities can. I'm just offering data.
So you are in the talk me out of it camp. Any good recommendations for a $200 laminate?

I'm not so monogamous, but I can relate. However, I think for most people, myself included, that mid-way ukulele does more than just give a taste of something better. It's an instrument to grow on. And when outgrown, it wasn't necessarily a waste. I do have a harder time understanding when people amass large collections of entry level ukes.

I think, like you, I went from 0-60 quicker than I anticipated. But for me, that's a good reason to pick out ukes that will have some longevity. And I don't think you have to spend $2000 to get that.

They have good reputation and at that price range you are probably looking at an all solid wood instrument. Basically in this mid range the ukes are fairly generic and main differences are cosmetic as they are mass produced on similar specs in similar factories. As a rule if there is a lot of decoration and bling on a mid range uke it is a good indicator that it lacks basic musical qualities. So more plain looking ukes may reflect better musical qualities. Also there are some differences in neck sizes and shapes or bridge designs that can have functional meaning for players. If you have preferences in these aspects then it helps to do some research.

Your comment made me think about what mid-tier ukuleles are, and where that point begins. I realize there's likely to be a fair amount of disagreement about this, but I'm thinking it starts around the $350-400 mark for tenors.

Taking forever to load each page so I haven’t read all precedings posts... but if you’re amenable to second hand, there’s a very interesting Martin TK1 on flea market music’s marketplace for $300. I have no affiliation with the seller... but it’s tempting for me at that price. If I was in the market for a decent quality solid koa tenor I’d have bought it already.

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

Last edited:
Taking forever to load each page so I haven’t read all precedings posts... but if you’re amenable to second hand, there’s a very interesting Martin TK1 on flea market music’s marketplace for $300. I have no affiliation with the seller... but it’s tempting for me at that price. If I was in the market for a decent quality solid koa tenor I’d have bought it already.

That's a solid recommendation.

So you are in the talk me out of it camp. Any good recommendations for a $200 laminate?

well...I wouldn't call it good, but I had an Oscar Schmidt. The action was high but when you fretted a note, it intoned that note. It had a pickup, but it was a bit sensitive. I couldn't play in front of the amp without buzzing. But maybe that's because of me. If I plug a uke in, it is going through a compressor, a flanger, and some fuzz. I don't understand the concept of clean amplification.

But I am turning myself off with all my negativity. So let me tell you what I would do, if I had to do it over again. I would keep my low-level uke and save my money. I would divert money from every paycheck and add it to that $400. When I had enough, I would get my final destination uke. And, as someone said, you don't need a $2000 uke. In my case, the heart wants what it wants, and I wanted a rather idiosyncratic Kamaka. However that isn't my favorite. For about a third less money I bespoke a custom uke which is the object of all my monogamous affection.

If that resonates with you, then forget the middles and wait for a high-end. If you're not wired that way, then do get incrementally more expensive ukes down the road.

In my case, the heart wants what it wants, and I wanted a rather idiosyncratic Kamaka. However that isn't my favorite. For about a third less money I bespoke a custom uke which is the object of all my monogamous affection.

Now I'm curious. What ukulele did you end up with?

My suggestion: either buy the Mainland with a MiSi installed or buy a Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE (currently 20% off on Kala's website if you use the coupon code KALAMAY20) and replace the UST with an Artec element.

UUer Kissing nudged me in the latter direction, and it served me well. These days, I follow UUer Booli's recommendation of a passive SBT into an outboard preamp, but that rig exceeds your budget.

Overall, the Artec-equipped Kala had a good amplified tone, but a MiSi-equipped Mainland may well prove superior. Acoustically, the KA-A_P line punches well above its price point.

Last edited:
Now I'm curious. What ukulele did you end up with?

yorkie.jpg

I attached, I think, a slightly blurry picture that my wife took for me of my main squeeze, my Rob Collins long neck tenor. I waited two years for it and it is the end of the UAS road for me. It is everything I want.

View attachment 127146

I attached, I think, a slightly blurry picture that my wife took for me of my main squeeze, my Rob Collins long neck tenor. I waited two years for it and it is the end of the UAS road for me. It is everything I want.

Nice! Rob Collins is one of three UK luthiers whose work I'm interested in. I'm not sure if it's a combination of my experiences on UU and Barry/gotaukulele.com being British, but I find myself more interested in UK builders than American ones, though I kinda wish it was the other way around.

What are you looking for in acoustic sound?

Generally:
Bright and loud? (Maple body or Spruce top)
Warm-ish medium to loud? (Koa, Mahogany, Myrtle body or Cedar top)
Very Warm? (Mango body, or Redwood top)

Strings and build affects all of those very general sound qualities.

I had a solid TK-50G cedar/rosewood Ohana tenor for a while. Nice sound for a mid-range tenor. Easy to play after setup. I think it was $350 three years ago.

I have to say stay away from Fender ukuleles. They are overbuilt and they have a boxy sound to me. Even their solid ones.

If you were at all interested in the Flight models it's good to know that their more expensive models around your budget all have an Artec passive pickup which I believe should be good enough quality for your purposes.

But I have to agree on some of the notions here about possibly wanting to upgrade in the future, and I think it's something you should definitely consider. Most of the mid-range brands mentioned are of that level of quality, in my opinion, that the probability of wanting to upgrade will be very real, whereas with a Pono, which to me is probably the top quality mid-range brand around the range of your budget, you will more probably be satisfied for much longer. At the start of the year, I was looking for a baritone and was asking for comments here similarly to you. I was considering between some mid-range Kala and a Pono, and the most compelling argument I saw was the exact one I made above, and I honestly couldn't be happier that I followed that advice. At the time, I was thinking that I'd buy the Kala or Pono then and maybe I would have a look at a Hawaiian K brand baritone later, but currently I like the Pono so much that I can't find any reason to upgrade currently if ever. And don't get me wrong, you could have that same experience with the Mainland or any other quality brand, but in general it's better to get the best quality instrument you can within your budget, in my opinion.

Top Bottom