Talk me into our out of a Mainland Mahogany Tenor

I REALLY like my friends Mainland Mahogany tenor.
It just sounds wonderful.
We liked it enough to buy a Mainland.

It seems folks here really like their Mainland ukes, so let's try a different approach to the question?

If you buy it and like it as much as the folks in this thread like theirs, congratulations. However, if for some reason you don't like it (and keep it in like-new condition) you might be able to sell it next year for about 70% of it's cost. So, is it worth about $100 or so for you to try it for a year? Some folks can afford that amount to not worry about their purchase and others can't. And of course, you can always return it within the first 15 days. Good luck with your decision.

It seems folks here really like their Mainland ukes, so let's try a different approach to the question?

If you buy it and like it as much as the folks in this thread like theirs, congratulations. However, if for some reason you don't like it (and keep it in like-new condition) you might be able to sell it next year for about 70% of it's cost. So, is it worth about $100 or so for you to try it for a year? Some folks can afford that amount to not worry about their purchase and others can't. And of course, you can always return it within the first 15 days. Good luck with your decision.
Yeah I have definitely made the decision that it will very likely be worth it to try out a mainland. The purchase will be made next month and budgeted into the spending plan so it isn’t much of a financial risk at all. Now I’m deciding on the slot head or the traditional with rope purfling. And like you say if I don’t like it I can keep it in nice condition and sell it at only a small loss. If on the contrary I enjoy it I doubt it will stay in I played condition for long. I will report next month once I make the order and receive the uke.

Look at it this way, $100 ($150 factoring shipping) for a year's worth of enjoyment and learning. Say, conservatively: 1 hr a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year = 250 hours a year. $150/250 = $0.60 an hour! What else can you do for that amount? And, most likely, you will like it and keep it longer.

My advice is to buy an acoustic tenor you like. Then put in a pickup. Preferably by the seller, but a local luthier/guitar tech will be fine. The pickup/amplifier setup will determine the sound far more than the instrument will when you play amplified. (Gross generalization.)

As people have stated, Mainland ukes are excellent value for the money. Good sound and nice to play. With an excellent company behind them. If you are leaning that way, pull the trigger and enjoy it.

I’m a person the buys used, and I’m generally looking for 60%-70% (or less) from the original purchase price. That’s just the market. What’s funny is the people that think they can charge the same or more for a used ukulele. That has been happening a lot in other forums/online groups.

When I sell, this is also my guiding principle reagarding pricing.

Placed the order for the Classic Mahogany Tenor last night, opted for gloss with gold tuners and orange buttons. It feels a little selfish with everything going down here in the USA. I did save and budget for it and I’m sure it will help me through these dark times.

Placed the order for the Classic Mahogany Tenor last night, opted for gloss with gold tuners and orange buttons. It feels a little selfish with everything going down here in the USA. I did save and budget for it and I’m sure it will help me through these dark times.

Good for you! Everybody needs a little therapy these days, make yourself happy and enjoy your new uke!

I have a Mainland Mahogany Tenor that I've owned for 11 years now. I think Mainland over delivers for their price point, from a tone and wood quality standpoint. Mike is good to deal with, my one recommendation, if you want a pickup, is to use a K&K Big Island Spot. I have K&K's in all my ukuleles (2 Kanileas, 1 Mainland, 1 Wixom, 1 Kala) and I find them VERY natural sounding (which a MiSi is NOT), they are inexpensive to buy ($40 or so), and very easy to install yourself as long as you aren't squeamish about drilling a hole in the endblock. If you are nervous about drilling, any luthier can install one in 15 minutes, max.

It has arrived! It’s beautiful and sounds good too. I’m trying to figure out a way to post full size pics rather than thumbnails then I will post my NUD post. They really look wayyyyy better in person. I would say that even if they never update their website, they would be well served to update with some full size high res photos. Anyways, mini review, I’m really enjoying it and started teaching my daughter to play the concert today.

Do a sound clip too! ;)

It has arrived! It’s beautiful and sounds good too. I’m trying to figure out a way to post full size pics rather than thumbnails then I will post my NUD post. They really look wayyyyy better in person. I would say that even if they never update their website, they would be well served to update with some full size high res photos. Anyways, mini review, I’m really enjoying it and started teaching my daughter to play the concert today.

Outstanding! Can’t wait for the NUD post!!!

Scooter

Top Bottom