Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noodling

Default Noodling

One term I learned from going to uke fests is "noodling" - playing around with the strings while the instructor is trying to instruct. "If you will all stop noodling, you will be able to hear me better." When I have a uke in my hands, I noodle constantly. I wonder if any of you do what I do.

I'll pluck two or three string, maybe fretting and maybe not, and the sequence will remind me of a tune. At that point, I start looking for other notes in the tune until I can pick the notes of the entire song.

Some examples are "If I Loved You," "Tom Dooley," "Amazing Grace," "Something" (Beetles).
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Noodling is wonderful...I do it all the time, just sitting with the uke picking and strumming at random... Best to do it when everybody else is out of the house though....it tends to annoy the others after a while. It’s almost like some kind of sub-conscious practising.

Noodling is great, as long as you're doing it by yourself and not twiddling about as an instructor is teaching or a performer is playing a quiet solo. It's very distracting to the rest of the room. You may think you're playing so quietly that no one will notice, but trust me, they will!

One of my other musical pursuits is West African drumming. When my wife and I take classes, we always record the entire session for future reference and practice. Going back and listening to the recordings, you can always hear the noodlers, to the point where it's hard to separate their noises from the instructors. People think they're just lightly tapping their drums, but the sound carries through the entire room.

Noodling by Yourself = Good!
    Noodling in a Class = Bad!
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    Noodling is great, as long as you're doing it by yourself and not twiddling about as an instructor is teaching or a performer is playing a quiet solo. It's very distracting to the rest of the room. You may think you're playing so quietly that no one will notice, but trust me, they will!
    Yes, I hate that, especially when the instructor says to stop, but someone people continue. Aaron Keim is ruthless with that, so beware if you go to one of his sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Yes, I hate that, especially when the instructor says to stop, but someone people continue. Aaron Keim is ruthless with that, so beware if you go to one of his sessions.
    Our African drum teachers will ask you once to stop. You better hope they don't have to ask you a second time!
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

Love it, do it. Figured out a few songd that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    Our African drum teachers will ask you once to stop. You better hope they don't have to ask you a second time!
    I guess noodling on a drum is a lots worse than on a uke.

By yourself noodling is fine, but in a group, no. Talk about distracting, my uke group met twice a week with about 40 people each time, not only do people noodle and tune their ukes while the leader speaks, she ALSO noodles. I find it terribly annoying. When I mention it to her, her reply is that it's just something she does, can't change. I wish she would be more conscientious.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    ...it's just something she does, can't change.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    I bet she could change - with some serious incentive.

I have a uke hook on my music stand for classes and group jams. If there’s talking long enough that I can’t resist noodling I hang up the uke to prevent temptation.

A good thing about zoom sessions is that I can mute and noodle away if want to experiment with the song we just did!

Thread Information