Fixing my Wonkie Triton Spindle Sander.

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last edited:
First thing I did was remove the base for a quick perusal on what it would take to fix it and the first thing I noticed was that I’d need a long screwdriver to reach deep down inside the sander base..so I ordered a set on eBay..it turned out that the best size is a 450mm long PZ2 driver....today the screwdriver arrived so I started the repair.
First
I removed all the loose attachments and put them on one side.

2B600D99-36BA-4E49-B7EA-055B556D3981 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

A37F391B-9410-4096-89EB-9B3761F10764 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Now with the motor assembly removed I can get to the 8 screws that bolt the motor assembly to the top plate..I needed to open up a gap of about 1mm at one side and shim it, to make the spindle 90 degrees to the top plate. So I removed 4 screws at that side.
A5BCE795-DADD-4135-9935-89992366B9BA by Ken Timms, on Flickr
And just slackened the 4 screws at the other side.
400E2B43-4CDF-48A3-AD43-2EAD4E3138F4 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Next I found some nylon washers at just the right size 1mm thick to act as shims that I could fit to the 4 screws I had just removed to give me the 1mm gap.
0C27F180-8B7E-4F9A-9192-F206F5BCCDEC by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Interesting Ken, and thanks for whenever I get round to doing mine. I'm also interested in that belt, what is it? Did it come with the machine? The belt on mine has a thickish overlapped join which clunks on the workpiece each time it passes. That belt on yours looks like it might be better.
cheers Mike.

Interesting Ken, and thanks for whenever I get round to doing mine. I'm also interested in that belt, what is it? Did it come with the machine? The belt on mine has a thickish overlapped join which clunks on the workpiece each time it passes. That belt on yours looks like it might be better.
cheers Mike.
These belts don’t have an overlap they are butt joined..it doesn’t look strong but it works fine ..only time will tell :) I didn’t like the look of the one that came with the machine...these are the ones I got from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abranet-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Cheers Ken, I like Abranet, I use the hand pads all the time. I'll order some belts. So you have cost me some dosh after all!!
Mike

Quite thouough and impressive. Couldn't you have just shimmed the base and made it square with the spindle?

Top Bottom