Pono Acacia Guilele

frets alot

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased/tried one of these Pono guilele's:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...no-ab-6-solid-acacia-guilele-oahu-case-2.html

As a 46+ year guitar player, I'm leaning towards trying one out, but have never owned a Pono before. I'm guessing the quality is good. I once had a Cordoba Mini with a 2" nut, but I like the idea of this one having a 1.75" nut, more of what I'm used to for fingerstyle guitar.

Thoughts?

Has anyone purchased/tried one of these Pono guilele's:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...no-ab-6-solid-acacia-guilele-oahu-case-2.html

As a 46+ year guitar player, I'm leaning towards trying one out, but have never owned a Pono before. I'm guessing the quality is good. I once had a Cordoba Mini with a 2" nut, but I like the idea of this one having a 1.75" nut, more of what I'm used to for fingerstyle guitar.

Thoughts?

Wow! I was gonna buy a Classical Guitar but changed my mind. The Guitalele would be even better it seems to me. I have a tenor guitar, but I’m not usta it’s large size yet. I don’t play the smaller ukes much anymore. I like baritones, so that fits too.

As for being a Pono that doesn’t bother me much either. I think lots of UUers like and play ‘em. I just might get one — hmm . . . :eek:ld:

Uhhh . . . I just looked through EBay and Amazon and Elderly. I think the Pono might be a bit too expensive for me. One can buy a pretty good Classical Guitar for it’s price.

Also, I read somewhere that, though a Guitalele can be tuned EADGBE, it won’t sound right — I dunno . . .

I’m gonna look around some more. :eek:ld:

Also, I read somewhere that, though a Guitalele can be tuned EADGBE, it won’t sound right — I dunno . . .

The Pono is 20 inch scale length whereas a lot of guitalele are shorter at 17 to 19 inches, not promising it is good E to E but more likely to be so

Most Guileles are bruit on a tenor scale and tuned A-A like Yamaha’s GL1 which is... fine. But the added tension of the Pono and the fact that it’s all solid wood make it more appealing to me. It also feels and sounds great. It all depends on what you want. If I wanted a cheap classical guitar, I’d get one, but I like the shorter scale of the Pono (compared to guitars) and think it’s worth the money.

Oh! And you can tune the Pono E-E, but they recommend different strings.

I've already experienced a guilele, when I had the Cordoba Mini. So, they are not new to me. I liked that, but am really liking the idea of a narrower nut width on the Pono. Plus, while the Cordoba was decent, I'm thinking that treating myself to a nicer build...solid woods and the various quality appointments, I will likely get improvements in tone, playability, build, etc. I have experienced that in my 46 years of buying guitars. Pono has a good reputation from what I've read here. It is also nice it comes with a hardshell case.

I did it.....I have an AB-6 on order. Looking forward to my first HMS order and my first Pono. Have heard great things about both.

Congratulations Pono are a high quality, well made excellent sounding instrument. Please let us know what you think of the sound compared to the Cordoba Mini.

I tried the Pono guilele at HMS and it's really well made and sounds nice. For me, string spread was too narrow—tiny spacing between strings at both nut and saddle compared to an 'ukulele and classical guitar. I would have bought it otherwise but the Romero Creations Baritone 6 fit my hand much better, albeit I wish the nut was a little wider, but it's close enough I could adapt. The Cordoba Mini I owned (spruce and rosewood) had the best size neck width for me but the sound wasn't that great (it's my beach instrument now).

I had the opposite experience, my Cordoba Mini had a nut width that was too wide for me. I'm used to a 1.75" nut width on all my steel string guitars. So the narrower nut width on the Pono will probably be right up my alley.

Thanks for the feedback on Pono quality.

Top Bottom