Four old island style sopranos so far

hoji

Reaction score
I'm completing about 1 per month. Number 5 ("May") is close to done.

1- All cherry (flatsawn). Sound: OK
2- All cherry, small locally sourced log, some quarter sawn. Sound: meh.
3. Western Res Cedar top, the rest quarter sawn cherry. Sound: poor ( too thin, I guess)
4. All quarter sawn cherry. Sound, Not bad, if not a little bright.

I want to thank everyone who has posted information on this forum, and for all the advice and patiently answering my noob questions. I could not have gotten this far without your help!!!
2iZEB2T
KIMG0840.jpg

Regardless of how those sound they all look absolutely gorgeous, so simple yet so elegant.

How do you cut your saddle slot?
And have you considered using violin pegs for added authenticity?

Regardless of how those sound they all look absolutely gorgeous, so simple yet so elegant.

How do you cut your saddle slot?
And have you considered using violin pegs for added authenticity?

Thank you!
I use a router. 3/32 bit. Several passes, gradually getting deeper. I've been making the slot 3/16" deep. So with a 1/4" high bridge, that leaves 1/16 of bridge wood at the bottom.

Yeah, I thought about making my own pegs, but worried they won't work well. I'm giving these all away to my nieces and nephews, so don't want to make tuning too challenging. Been using Grover #6.

Thank you!
I use a router. 3/32 bit. Several passes, gradually getting deeper. I've been making the slot 3/16" deep. So with a 1/4" high bridge, that leaves 1/16 of bridge wood at the bottom.

Yeah, I thought about making my own pegs, but worried they won't work well. I'm giving these all away to my nieces and nephews, so don't want to make tuning too challenging. Been using Grover #6.
keep going..I turned out a dozen before I started to get on the right track.

Thank you for the encouragement, Ken!

Top Bottom