Season 431 - Dedications

I am so sorry to hear that, Michael.
My dad has lewy body dementia. He doesn't remember much either.
Yet there is some peace in the not-remembering....I dunno, it varies from patient to patient,
and depending on how the patient's family see it and deal with it.

Most importantly they don't feel forgotten. We spend much time with our dad. So much that sometimes he has to gesture us away. :)

All the best to Freddy and his family.

To those that find themselves caught in a fight between the sacred and the profane. For those that try to make sense of life and fail. For those whose lives fluctuate between hope and despair.

Thanks for the week, Joo ... it's good that we can take time to appreciate one another! Like Ryan, I feel that the unsung heroes of this awful pandemic can't receive enough praise. So, this is for all the kind people in our neck of the woods who are going the extra mile at the moment .... for Michel (the mayor of our commune) and his secretary, Mercedes; for our wonderful post lady, Laurence; for Jean-Philippe and his son at our local garage; for our doctor, Bruno; for our pharmacist, Guillaume and for all the wonderful staff at our local supermarket, who, in particular can't be praised enough! I should also like to thank the VERY kind man, who risked life and limb to venture up the hill yesterday afternoon to deliver and install our new washing machine! (I shall no longer have to wash clothes in the bath, as I have had to since the old machine very inconveniently broke down at the height of the lockdown!) This song was written by a Frenchman during the occupation of France in 1943 ... all the photos I have used in the video are of the department where we live, Correze.

Last edited:
In February, while the North of Italy was just beginning to realise the scope of the Covid 19 crisis, we were on holiday in Naples.

The city must be one of the worst in the world in which to be a pedestrian. The narrow streets are chock full of people walking and motorbikes and scooters riding down the same streets with gay abandon.

We took our lives into our hands crossing main roads several times. No vehicles stop at zebra crossings whether the lights are green or red. You have to step out into the traffic and stare down the drivers bombing towards you.

Anyway, reflecting on this (and remembering a tale from Arabia) I spent the dead time waiting for our plane writing the lyrics to this song which I now dedicate to the brave people of Naples who survive (mostly) in such chaos. They are a true tribute to the indomitable human spirit.

I hope you listen to the whole song, because it is a full short story.

Anyway, here's:

Every now and then, I go on the Bodleian library Broadsite site, often browsing for songs on a specific theme. In the process I come across other songs that I like the look of. This is one of them. It's written from the perspective of someone who's moved a long way from home so this is dedicated to those who now live a long way from where they originated. The tune is traditional. I think the unknown author of this song had this tune in mind as it turned out to be a perfect fit - not always the case with broadsides which were mostly 'thrown together' very quickly. The tune is a variant of 'Dives and Lazarus' which many know as 'The Star of County Down'.

Thank you for all your lovely songs today. I have enjoyed everyone of them.
Never knew I could enjoyed hosting so much.

Don't forget that you are invited to cover Eric's lovely "Isolation Blues" if you feel to.
Here is the link to his original https://ericvelasco1.bandcamp.com/track/isolation-blues

I played it in c with f and g. Not too hard to play. :)

See and hear you all tomorrow.
xo

Every now and then, I go on the Bodleian library Broadsite site, often browsing for songs on a specific theme. In the process I come across other songs that I like the look of. This is one of them. It's written from the perspective of someone who's moved a long way from home so this is dedicated to those who now live a long way from where they originated. The tune is traditional. I think the unknown author of this song had this tune in mind as it turned out to be a perfect fit - not always the case with broadsides which were mostly 'thrown together' very quickly. The tune is a variant of 'Dives and Lazarus' which many know as 'The Star of County Down'.

That sounds good Geoff but somewhere in this thick head of mine that tune also fits in with something else other than County Doswn,I will probably be messing around with it for days to get it out of my head

Another from my harvest of songs written at FAWM this year. This one is dedicated to the first openly gay member of my family. She took a brave step in defying the Irish Catholic tradition to which my extended family largely cling. Power to her elbow.

This is the tale of a lass from another continent who led a conventional life, but always had a secret passion.

Hope you enjoy:

a song i want to dedicate to ukuleledaddy.
the other day Sean contacted me about the possibility of recording a lil' instrumental version of an old folk song, 'The Titanic'.
of course i jumped in feet first. as it happens, the recording would be used as an underscore for an upcoming film directed by Paul Bright,
and in which Sean himself is starring. the upshot is, the director was pleased w/ the recording and it is going to be used in the score.
the film is called Crossing Shaky Ground and is now in the final stages of editing/mixing.
i am grateful to Sean for thinking of me, mostly though for his continued friendship and encouragement over many years now,
since the earliest days of this season thing. love you mate.

a song i want to dedicate to ukuleledaddy.
the other day Sean contacted me about the possibility of recording a lil' instrumental version of an old folk song, 'The Titanic'.
of course i jumped in feet first. as it happens, the recording would be used as an underscore for an upcoming film directed by Paul Bright,
and in which Sean himself is starring. the upshot is, the director was pleased w/ the recording and it is going to be used in the score.
the film is called Crossing Shaky Ground and is now in the final stages of editing/mixing.
i am grateful to Sean for thinking of me, mostly though for his continued friendship and encouragement over many years now,
since the earliest days of this season thing. love you mate.

Aw Jon I'm touched by the dedication. Means a lot. I'm more excited than ever to see how this film turns out with your amazing work filling it in. You were the first person I thought of for this and I'm so very glad you were up for it. Hope it won't be the last time we get to be a part of a project like this together. Love you mate.

Doug Frink, a man of much style, much talent and much generosity, used to spend time with us here on the seasons.
He hosted 8 times, the last being season 248.
Each time he hosted he would gift one of his hand made ukes to a participant by way of a draw.
I really wanted one of those ukes but my name never came out of the hat.
Knowing that he liked to source the timber for his ukes from interesting places - like an old boat shed for one of his ukes - I sent him a small piece of Huon Pine which I had as a souvenir from a trip to Tasmania. I thought he might use it for a head stock plate or as a decorative piece on one of his ukes - as I said it was a small piece.
Imagine my surprise when this beautiful tenor uke arrived unannounced in the mail. He even made a soprano from the same piece of timber.
It is the uke I treasure most. And a beaut player as well with terrific tone and intonation.
So this is dedicated to Doug Frink and this uke.....

Last edited:
I am up to date with all the entries now.
I watched and listened to all the songs more than once.
I checked back also to see if everyone is getting comments and likes on their videos. I was just curious what other people think about all these lovely videos I have liked.
I know some people always say they don't care if they don't get any likes but I think it is a quick way to show your fellow Seasonistas your appreciation, and better if you can comment.

I remember Fred Grub hosted one time, ages ago, and he was giving away some attractive prizes. But he said that if you didn't comment on everyone's video you would be disqualified immediately from the prizes.
And sure enough, everyone did that week. Even the few who never had the habit of doing so.

I recently read a FB conversation that someone feels he won't be able to handle it if he is not getting enough likes and views.
So he stays away from forums like this, in case he is not getting back the same amount of love that he has put into his video.
But how about trying to show a bit of love to the fellow participants here by reaching out to them first?

I think most of us, maybe all of us, need encouragement or acknowledgement of some kind, now matter how poorly or well we play.

Just me speaking my mind here.

The entries so far are delightful. Many are very heartfelt.

I have really enjoyed myself so far.
Hope you are too.
See and hear you tomorrow!

That sounds good Geoff but somewhere in this thick head of mine that tune also fits in with something else other than County Doswn,I will probably be messing around with it for days to get it out of my head

There are a number of songs that have used variants of the Dives and Lazarus melody. When I was sorting out a tune for this, I started with "The Parting Glass". I had worked out that tune many years ago but it was at that point I realised that The Parting Glass tune was a variant of that melody.

This song I dedicate to Joyce Fleming. She inspired me last year to do YouTube Videos of me and my Ukulele Songs.
Thank you, dear Joyce!

Two more of mine coming up. I just can't miss the opportunity offered by this very open theme to showcase some of the songs I wrote at FAWM this year.

This one was my response to the prompt "Restless" - it was for a skirmish - which means the song was written, recorded and posted to the site within 60 minutes. Such a challenge really gets the old Adrenalin going, I can tell you. I sometimes revisit a skirmish song and "tidy it up a bit" after FAWM, but this one is as it came out of the skirmish.

Forgot to mention this one is dedicated to all those of a nervous disposition.

Hope you enjoy:

Last edited:
The second of my one word title songs from FAWM. This one is different in that it was not written in an hour. (Have we ever had a season whose theme was "One Word Titles" - I seem to remember one... But I can't trust my memory much these days :( )

Apart from providing opportunities for inspiration for new songs, FAWM is great for digging out abandoned projects and bringing them to completion. I had the Chorus in my notebook for months, but never got around to fleshing it out into a song. Then, during a quiet moment in FAWM, and with the help of Band in a Box, I had some ideas for the verses and after writing them recorded them.

I would probably have added some lead breaks at the points where I am not singing, if I had had time. But I didn't because I was preparing to leave for Naples.

I thought of recording it again for this Season, today, but then I thought I'd simply make a new video and let you all have a listen to this "raw & naked demo".

PS This one is dedicated to all those who live and not just exist!

Hope you enjoy:

Last edited:
"The Time of Cherries" (1866) is an old French song by Jean-Baptiste Clément and Antoine Renard. I dedicate it to the people who have not been able to be outdoors much, due to lockdown. In the northern hemisphere, if you didn't see the cherry blossoms this spring, hopefully you'll enjoy seeing the berries in autumn. And in the southern hemisphere, hopefully the winter and spring will be better than the last months have been.

Everything's fine right now.
Dedicated to that wizard of words Mr Berni Armstong, who has an appreciation of the Scottish duo The Incredible String Band... and won't it be fine if one day we see someone on the streets again with a placard saying "Free Hugs"

Top Bottom