Season 431 - Dedications

This song is dedicated to 2020
This Year written by The Mountain Goats

Great rendition of my favorite Mountain Goats song! And a sweet shirt to boot. :eek:

For Berni
As you plough through the snows of December
Remember that poor Captain Scott
Wasn't he the second to reach the South Pole?
Well no, in fact he was not.
Roald Amundsen, he was the first
Or that's what everyone reckoned.
But we've all been under a misapprehension
I've been toald that Roald was second.
When he arrived at his goal
A small patch of yellow snow marked it
For who was first to the pole
Spot of the Antarctic.

It was an elementary mistake
That put Roald out of the hunt
How can the man at the back of the sledge
Beat the dog he has tied to the front?
But Spot was not a happy dog
A dog needs to go out for a run
But pulling a sledge all those miles through the snow
A walk round the park would have done.
A sledge piled high with a cooker, a fridge, a TV and who had to park it
It wasn't Roald who trudged through the coald
It was Spot of the Antarctic.

Of course, Roald did all the planning
Strategy flowed from his mouth
"Which way shall we go today, Roald?" said Spot
And Roald said "South."
And on the return journey
His keen mind again proved its worth
"Which way shall we go today, Roald?" said Spot
And Roald said "North"
All Spot had to do was pull the sledge
Put the tent up and when it got dark it
Was whose job to cook Roald supper
Spot of the Antarctic.

"My name used to be Ronald" said Roald
"But alas, I was a poor man
I had to sell my own N to finance the trip
I sold it to someone called Orman.
I bought a tent and a sledge
And a dog and set out to do it
Spot didn't like the Antarctic at first
But he's taken a Viking to it.
I thought I'd be first to the pole
I got off the sledge and then parked it
I wanted to be first, my heart going to burst
It was Spot of the Antarctic."

Then half way through the journey home
He spoke to his pet with regret
"I've miscalculated, our food is all ated
And McDonald's haven't opened here yet."
No for Roald the example of Oates
No bravely going out for a walk
He simply shouted "Come here, Spot"
And got out his knife and fork.
The dog may be gone, but the legend lives on
All down the years dog's have barked it
For who was the first to the pole?
Spot of the Antarctic.

For Berni
As you plough through the snows of December
Remember that poor Captain Scott
Wasn't he the second to reach the South Pole?
Well no, in fact he was not.....

That's brilliant. Is it by the guy who wrote "Guide Cats for the Blind"?

So this might... and I stress might be my last entry for 431. Thanks so much Joo for letting me get all these off my chest!

Over my six decades I have had too many friends lost (in one way or another) to addiction. There have been overdoses, prison sentences, disappearances into the streets, a brilliant guitarist who can't play now because of the shakes he acquired from alcohol poisoning, etc, etc. This song is my dedication to them all and a recognition that their paths, once they were on them, were not easy to deviate from.

This song itself was a second fruit from the challenge to write a song from the point of view of an inanimate object. In this case a personification of the addiction itself.
It is a cheery little number, but with a very serious subject.

I really wish I could have done more this week, and I still am going to do more somehow, some way. One of the rare advantages of being in Houston is that Hawaii time is like 5-6 hours behind. So i've got until Monday morning. :) This one is dedicated to the all the seasonistas who regularly write and share their original songs with us here on the Seasons. Berni, Graham, Brian, Lynda, Jon and John from Australia, new member JoAnn, Eric, Joo, Ryan, Chelle, Rob, Bob(JKing), Jas and i'm sorry if I missed anyone off the top of my head. Also this is dedicated to the writer of the song, Steve Goodman. His story is a fantastic one, i'd encourage you to find out about him if you don't already. Anyway, here's "City of New Orleans" joined by Jon and Willie ~

Here is my cover of Eric's Isolation Blues. I'm gonna comment on it now. :)
I dedicate this to all my seasonista friends.

EDIT: I dunno why the light keeps flickering.... there're no effects I put here.

When you're in front of a camera, you don't want any bright light to be behind you. It's called backlighting. The camera is reacting to the light it sees as you move your head.

Some ideas for lighting -

https://www.google.com/search?q=goo...hrome.0.0l5.4663j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I was trying to learn a bit about multi tracking and basic video editing. As my equipment mainly consists of bent pins, wire, AA batteries, and empty tin cans, it took a while. It is not much, but I have this to show for my efforts. Cheers to the guy running the stump grinder outside, too.

I was trying to learn a bit about multi tracking and basic video editing. As my equipment mainly consists of bent pins, wire, AA batteries, and empty tin cans, it took a while. It is not much, but I have this to show for my efforts. Cheers to the guy running the stump grinder outside, too.

You must have been thinking of someone in particular. It was very heartfelt. And of course, I love that Mya Moe resonator as I have one of its cousins.

Howdy Gang,many thanks Joo for hosting a fab season.
My entry for the ongoing Seasons of the Ukulele, this weeks theme is dedication, my dedication is in my entry, for some reason i just couldn't get the song right this week over 10 takes,but when i play it without a camera its fine,life hey ! plus my voice is a bit croaky today so i apologise for a not very polished song as they say you cant polish a turd :agree::biglaugh:

As Joo has told me to "Keep them Coming" here is another of my FAWM harvest.

Background: When I first came to Catalunya, it was such a new world to me. I didn't know the social rules and I couldn't speak the language very well. Without knowing it, there was one particular phrase I was about to learn and would soon wish I hadn't... The title of this song.

When you are well versed in a particular culture and you move to another you can find yourself acting more naively in the new social milieu than you would back where you came from. That's what happened to me, as this song reveals. I was broken by the experience for a while, but thank goodness she did what she did. We were definitely NOT made for each other...

Hope you enjoy:

Another "Skirmish" song from me - written, recorded and posted within an hour of seeing the prompt: Circus.

This one is dedicated to Circ Raluy Legacy a fabulous family circus in Catalonia who travel around the country in traditional circus vans and do a very traditional circus show with "The Luigi Brothers" later becoming "The Fabulous Strombolis" etc. It is a real treat for those nostalgic for a real circus (minus the animals, of course).

Funny anecdote. The first time I went to see them we got there early and I was asking the lass on the ticket office something in Spanish. She looked puzzled and said in Spanish. "Sorry, I don't understand. I don't speak much Spanish."
"Do you speak English?" I asked
"Yeh, course I do!" she replied in a thick Scouse accent.
It turned out she was an acrobat from Liverpool. We had a good old chin wag before the other customers started turning up. True to the tradition, she was later an acrobat, a clown and a magician's assistant. Each time under another name.

Here is a video taster of Circ Raluy's

Hope you enjoy:

When you're in front of a camera, you don't want any bright light to be behind you. It's called backlighting. The camera is reacting to the light it sees as you move your head.

Some ideas for lighting -

https://www.google.com/search?q=goo...hrome.0.0l5.4663j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hi Jerry. Yeah I realised afterwards that it was my phone camera trying to adjust its exposure whenever I moved. Still amazed at how sensitive these camera lenses can be. Just thinking how often our eyes do that everyday feels incredible. No wonder they get tired. Thanks for the message.

As Joo has told me to "Keep them Coming" here is another of my FAWM harvest.

Yes Berni. Don't stop when you're on fire doing something creative. Glad you're bringing us more.

Well, two little Blues to finish off my incredibly productive season. Both were born in Skirmishes (Written, recorded and posted to FAWM within 60 minutes of the theme being announced).
This first one was a response to the prompt. "Cruise Control"

I dedicated it to all travelling sales people. They use hire cars a lot. I once was a cold selling salesman. Worst job I ever had, so I can understand why my protagonist is pissed off when what he was promised isn't offered.

Hope you enjoy:

And finally, another skirmish response. This time the prompt was punctuation. Something translators know all about. And indeed I am dedicating this song to all my fellow translators and linguists. It is a noble profession and I am proud I was involved in it for thirty years!

Hope you find this one fun:

Hey, friends! Joo and Jon, a huge heartfelt hug of gratitude for hosting us all this week! What a SUPER week it’s been!!! I’ve been offline much of the wknd, so I see I have lots of cool entries to watch and listen to for this week! Woot woot!!!! :cool:

Big thanks you to our hosts Joo and Jon for a wonderful week of dedications! And thank you to those who covered my song Isolation Blues. It’s so nice to hear your interpretations.

Kevin and I worked hard the last couple of days to come up with something special for you. One of my favorite songs of all time. Hope we did it justice. This goes out to you Seasonistas and to all my brothers and sisters all over to world. Right now we could all use a little tenderness...enjoy!

Last edited:
Big thanks you to our hosts Joo and Jon for a wonderful week of dedications! And thank you to those who covered my song Isolation Blues. It’s so nice to hear your interpretations.

Kevin and I worked hard the last couple of days to come up with something special for you. One of my favorite songs of all time. Hope we did it justice. This goes out to you Seasonistas and to all my brothers and sisters all over to world. Right now we could all use a little tenderness...enjoy!

OOOOO.MMMMMMM.GGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOOOOOOOO AWESOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEEEE!!!! I can’t even contain myself right now!!!! HOLY McGILLICUDDYYYYY!!!!!! :cool:

Top Bottom