Season 431 - Dedications

what a joy this week is.
the music, the dedications.
thank you everyone. don't stop yet!
:love:

This is another Elton John song. Kev has covered this before, beautifully.
I want to dedicate this raw as always one-take to him.
I have got to know Kev a little better over these months. He is a bit like an older brother to me,
giving me encouragement and putting up with my childish behavior at times.
It may seem strange to have this kind of connection with someone I've not met in person. But it has.
I really appreciate him, very much.
Hey Kev, 谢谢你。(xie xie ni)
Which means Thank You in Mandarin.

Dedicated to all those stuck in quarantine and separated from their loved ones and no matter what they do circumstances conspire against them so they can't find their way home.

Wonderful entries today!!!

Some of the regulars have not shown up...
I hope they have listened to some of the beautiful entries this week, even though they can't bring a song or 2 this time round.

OK folks. I am gonna go tend to my domestic duties again.
Will be back later tonight ( it's 4.55pm here in Singapore now).

Keep your dedications coming in. :)

As pabrizzers wonderful "Little Melodies", or Gilbert O'Sullivans "Claire" also this cover from Udo Jürgens talks about our little ones ... here, when they leave us back, going their own way. Jürgens (1934 - 2014) performed this song in 1984 with his twen daughter Jenny

I am thinking of giving away a prize...I know many of you don't care about prizes, you just wanna play music.

But I am thinking...how about drawing a portrait of the winner and the person or persons the song is dedicated to?
( I have not discussed prizes with Jon yet but I'm quite sure he won't object to my idea)

Yeah that sounds like something I might do. :)

In the modern age we like moving pictures, but in times passed a picture in a frame gave you memories to cling to. Check out your old photo album to see what memories are stirred up. They may not be "All those moments that are lost in time, like tears in rain," but you will find something of great value there. Dedicated to all those who capture precious moments, either in photo or in song. Creating something out of nothing.

Dedicated to those separated from their loved ones and to survivors of domestic violence.
This is Folsom Women’s Prison Blues.

Tried out some video effects.

A lovely number the backing is great,really suiting

There are a number of songs that have used variants of the Dives and Lazarus melody. When I was sorting out a tune for this, I started with "The Parting Glass". I had worked out that tune many years ago but it was at that point I realised that The Parting Glass tune was a variant of that melody.
I think Parting Glass may be the tune I was thinking of which was our farewell song at the Knaresborough club yonks ago,we also had a guy sing an unacompanied version of The Cruel Ships Carpenter to a similar tune.

I am thinking of giving away a prize...I know many of you don't care about prizes, you just wanna play music.

But I am thinking...how about drawing a portrait of the winner and the person or persons the song is dedicated to?
( I have not discussed prizes with Jon yet but I'm quite sure he won't object to my idea)

Yeah that sounds like something I might do. :)

Lovely Idea~

Got three more short ones, if you can stand it. I have never blitzed a season like I have this one, but the open theme was just too good to miss. I might have had to wait years for a theme to fit a song I had already written and I am proud of those I wrote at FAWM this year.

This one is dedicated to my Dad. He and I didn't always see eye to eye. He was a very practical engineer who wanted me to follow in his footsteps. When I got into art and theatre he shook his head and never accepted it as "useful" - until I became a University Lecturer. But even then he hinted he'd have preferred it if I had stuck at my first profession: electronics technician.

Anyway, we were in Barcelona one day and this song tells what happened when I cajoled him into visiting the Picasso Museum.

It was another song written for a skirmish - Which means it was written, recorded and uploaded within an hour of the prompt "ART" being published.

This next short song is another from a skirmish (written, recorded and posted within an hour of the prompt - in this case "COLD" )

My first job as a University Lecturer was as a Lecturer in Performing Arts in what is now John Moores University in Liverpool.

Among the staff was a fascinating guy called John Crabbe Cunningham who had been an Antarctic explorer.

This song is based on a conversation we once had over lunch in which he explained to me how he had survived a particularly long Antarctic snow storm.

He was an incredible character - you can read about him here.

Sadly, we had not long become friends when he led a group of students on a climbing expedition at the South Stacks Cliffs on Anglesey (Wales). Some students were in trouble and he went down to the rocks on the shore to aid them. There he was washed into the sea by a freak wave. He could not swim and he disappeared - his body was never found.

I was deeply shocked that a man who had lived through so much hardship in extreme conditions could be swept away in such a cruel, senseless fashion.

So this song is dedicated to his memory. A fine human being and a fine colleague and friend.

Last edited:
Another Isolation Blues – what a beautiful song, Eric. Joo and I collaborated on this one. She did the wonderful artwork and made the video. I'm dedicating this song to my Mom and Dad. And dedicating it to a new friend, Joo.

Last edited:
Xander.jpg

a strange song to dedicate to our grandson Xander but I brought it to the zoom meeting this morning and Xander gave it his approval.
He is 6 and has never spoken a word due to his autism - he can laugh and vocalise but has never uttered a word - not mum not dad not ma nor pa - all contact is on his terms so when he decides to come to you of his own choice it is always special
the zoom meetings are quite early on a Sunday morning here in Australia so I asked to do my song later in the morning to avoid waking the two grandson's staying with us this weekend ( to give their parents a break Xander can be exhausting)
it was a very special moment for me when Xander came in and sat through my whole delivery of this song - and that's a definite tick of approval from him believe me.

Dedicated to my wife, Linda, who created THE BEST CONCERT for the Squirrel Nut Zippers ((hey, they told folks this later)) when they visited Peoria and we up and did a conga line through the theater.

Shocked, in a happy shock, the band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTz-lDauKhc

dedicated to Kevin.
a great friend and constant collaborator of these past several years
and who wrote this, one of my favourite songs ever.
thank you for your music, your friendship and love mate.

One of the most amazing Seasons ever! Though I left no comments this time (it would take too much time), I applaud you ALL! Such lovely people and talent galore!!

Nice to see you Janet! And YES the entries are so lovely, right?!
Thanks for leaving a comment so we know you've been here with us. xo

Love that photo of Xander, Brian.
Gorgeous boy. xo

Top Bottom