Epiphone EpiLani Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Well now, certainly didn't expect this one to get this high a score. When you posted the sneak peek on Facebook, I had a look on Epiphone's website and they had almost no info on this uke which made me quite doubtful, so I'm really surprised how much you liked it. Granted, it's actually quite pleasing to look at, and the sound is ok for a entry level laminate. It does sound like it has a slight intonation issue, although that might have something to do with the echoey sound which to me is a bit distorting. I suppose it's an ok entry level uke for the price.

Hmm - that bigs my thoughts up a bit more than I wanted to make out. "Liked it" - well - a bit I suppose - it was ok - not a howler. Still think there are better options out there for similar money though. It just didn't 'totally suck'.

The gripes I had were fixable (largely, but not totally) - but it's attractive looking and largely well put together.

Genuinely meant what I said - that this is the sort of thing Epiphone should have first put out to beginners to get them on board.

Well, the overall score was 8.6 which was the real surprise for me and an indicator of positivity. Obviously, the 'value for money' always inflates the overall score for cheaper instruments but the other factors were on a decent level as well. I guess this is a good example that one shouldn't focus on the score at the end of a review but that's what people, including myself, often do. There's usually much more nuance to a review than just a number. I certainly didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

The Epiphone Les Paul is made to be amplified. It is not very good as an unplugged uke. Reviewing it as an unplugged uke is a waste of time, buying to to play unplugged is a waste of time. I think it was designed for "beginners" who own a Les Paul Guitar and own an amp and know how to use an amp and play an amplified instrument.

Not sure I wholly agree Bill. If the LP was only made to be plugged in, why build it with a sound hole and sound chamber? Why not just make it a full solid body - there's loads about. In fact it would probably make it MORE Les Paul alike.

Oh it certainly works best plugged in, no doubt (though still a bit limp - the pickup quality is very poor), but I wouldn't say it was a 'waste of time' discussing it any other way. I know people who bought them to be electro AND acoustic. My review created numerous comments from people saying they liked the acoustic sound (though I can't think why for a minute!)

Actually - my review has two videos - one unplugged and one plugged in too.

The reason for the poor acoustic tone for me is clear - the sound chamber is too small, the top is too thick and there is no 'tension' in the top to create some resonance.

Choirguy/Chris actually did a very good review of the Les Paul recently (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?145232-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Concert-Ukulele) including looking at the innards of the thing. Indeed the sound chamber is ridiculously small and probably is the major reason for the pathetic acoustic sound.

And I have to agree with Baz there. If the Les Paul is meant to be played plugged in only, why does it even have the sound chamber at all? My guess would be that they just wanted to be able to check the "electro-acoustic" box for their marketing material, which rarely results in a good product.

Wow, that Les Paul review just won't die, will it? Baz didn't like it, some people do, can probably move on now. Can at least focus this thread on the uke he has actually reviewed?

Looks a half decent beginner / beater sop this one. I'm always slightly alarmed at how cheaply these things can be produced on the other side of the planet, shipped and sold here at profit but that's the world we live in I guess. Cheers, Baz.

Looks a half decent beginner / beater sop this one. I'm always slightly alarmed at how cheaply these things can be produced on the other side of the planet, shipped and sold here at profit but that's the world we live in I guess. Cheers, Baz.

Yep -- that's really how i would sum it up. It's in a congested marketplace though and a lot out there to compete with.

Fair review BAZ. It’s a beginner Uke. Looks great. Sounds ok. I’d buy it to give to someone to get them started. For me, I’d take a file fix the fret ends. Show beginner how to tune it and let them have at it. Nice to see an attractive beginner Uke. Yes, there are better options but affordable.

I’m surprised in two ways by this. First, good for Epiphone for NOT making just another cheese electric knock off. They commission a standard Uke. But why not try say back facing, planetary tuners by Graphtech. Second, for a small Uke like soprano by not do either string thru or know how bridge for beginnings. I think knot he is less intimidating for beginner.

I really wish a big company like Gibson/Epiphone with their established distribution could move a lot of beginner Uke and offer a good starter Uke.

Ass for the Les Paul etc ukes....not my cup of tea. Your reviews have been fair. I’ve played both Les Pauland Hummingbird versions and they were acoustically deal. They were not great but for those you like them and plug in, good for you.

YMMY

Sorry, bad typing with fat fingers on iPad. LOL. Above should read Knotch bridge vrs string thru. Both good. On small soprano for Uke beginner, I think knotch would be better for beginner. If they offered a tenor, I’d want to see string thru bridge cause I like them.

A little more QC or buying from dealer with a shop could fix the fret ends. But I do realized at this price point a lot of guitar stores just won’t put the effort in.

Fair review BAZ. It’s a beginner Uke. Looks great. Sounds ok. I’d buy it to give to someone to get them started. For me, I’d take a file fix the fret ends. Show beginner how to tune it and let them have at it. Nice to see an attractive beginner Uke. Yes, there are better options but affordable.

I’m surprised in two ways by this. First, good for Epiphone for NOT making just another cheese electric knock off. They commission a standard Uke. But why not try say back facing, planetary tuners by Graphtech. Second, for a small Uke like soprano by not do either string thru or know how bridge for beginnings. I think knot he is less intimidating for beginner.

I really wish a big company like Gibson/Epiphone with their established distribution could move a lot of beginner Uke and offer a good starter Uke.
Quite agree!

Pretty attractive looking uke, though.

Top Bottom