Vehicle for Uke Fests

Seriously...I Prius camp at a lot of events, and it doesn’t require any of the stuff on that car.

You can make some modifications, such as tinted rear windows OR pop-in screens. But you can buy a 4” memory foam mattress that fits perfectly from the back of the truck to the back of the front passenger seat...and then still have space for stuff AND a place to sit (you can move the front seats up ridiculously far and have a ton of room in the back). You can also buy an inverter should you need it...some people live full time in their Prius (not my goal) and connect things like small coolers and Microwaves.

The Prius has one of the most efficient engines ever (even as a generator) and you can sleep with air conditioning and use less than a gallon of gas overnight. The same goes for heating.

A sink might be out of the question, but you can certainly bring water and a small wash tub along.

There are many videos on this...and some people really take it to the extreme. But with all sincerity...for a place to crash on a single-person road trip where you’d be sleeping in a tent anyway...it’s a win-win.

My musicfest setup. I'm not the camping type, but I tend to imbibe a bit. I just need a place to crash when I can't stay up any longer.

Camper.jpg

Last edited:
I could live in my Prius too, if I had to. I did buy an inverter for it, so that we can run our refrigerator if we lose power in the house.
The Prius uses less gas than a gas generator, and makes a whole lot less noise.
I've had this car for a year an a half, and I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want one. I'll admit, that the band's gear won't all fit in it, but I could tow it with a small trailer if I had to.
The only thing I can think of better than a Prius, is a newer Prius!

When I do track days; some people without RVs would stay in tents. Having had some camping experience, I think that'll be more comfortable than sleeping inside that little car in your link.

I could live in my Prius too, if I had to. I did buy an inverter for it, so that we can run our refrigerator if we lose power in the house.
The Prius uses less gas than a gas generator, and makes a whole lot less noise.
I've had this car for a year an a half, and I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want one. I'll admit, that the band's gear won't all fit in it, but I could tow it with a small trailer if I had to.
The only thing I can think of better than a Prius, is a newer Prius!

Once you've tried a cargo van, it's really hard to go back to anything else except something like this:

https://www.theridingobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/v3911tk-02-680x611.png

But, I'm a wimp and have never stayed overnight at the track. Although, it's been tempting at times...

I have to agree with my wife: Our idea of "roughing it" is a hotel without room service.

Frankly, with the asthma, sleep apnea, GERD, chronic rhino-sinusitis (all courtesy of September 11), the arthritis, deteriorating c-spine,and diabetes, I don't want to be more than 10 feet from a power outlet, flush toilet, or refrigerator when I travel.

Quite a change from the first half of my life, I have to admit.

I did my share of camping at various tracks from Watkins Glen to Mid Ohio, Elkhart Lake, Road Atlanta, Mosport and others.

Great fun when you're younger. But I stopped camping when it freaking snowed while we were camped out at the Glen in October! Our tent leaked, soaked our gear and we left for the closest hotel we could find in Rochester. The next day, we returned and there wasn't a wood door on any of the restrooms, all the picnic tables were missing, and some of the posts were gone as well. They banned camping after that.

Even slept on the hood of my 1965 Chrysler Newport (5 feet long) one year at Elkhart when we found out camping was banned that year.

Nowdays, I'm with ksiegel. Though I've only been to the Austin, TX COTA track in recent years.

Last edited:
Seriously...I Prius camp at a lot of events, and it doesn’t require any of the stuff on that car..

Before we bought our Honda Fits - 2015, 2019, 2020 - I considered a Prius. Figuring the MPG of each and the difference in price, I couldn't justify the Prius. For 65,000 miles, my 2015 Fit has averaged 43.8 MPG, and my son's 2020 has averaged 45.0 MPG for 16,000 miles. We might never break even on the cost difference.

I camp in my 2008 Toyota 4-Runner quite a bit. With the rear seats down, it's a flat sleeping surface that just fits my deluxe Exped pad. Screens on two of the windows (held on by magnets) for ventilation. Room inside for food/kitchen/personal gear, plus a roof rack box.

On river rafting trips, it's a mid-sized tent and a Roll-A-Cot. On touring kayak trips, it's a small tent & the deluxe Exped pad. It does get harder each year that passes, but still doable.

I'm actually looking for something like this for not only music Fests, but touring wine country, golf trips, road trips, weekends...
btcruiser.jpg

I have to agree with my wife: Our idea of "roughing it" is a hotel without room service.

When we take our little teardrop to music festivals we often times stay in hotels on the way out and back. We just sleep in it during the festival.

If you need a world traveling uke event vehicle take a look at some of the overland vehicle out there....of course you'll need ship or plane to cross the ocean but some of these vehicle go everywhere.......

I've done some back country travel but I'm not so interested in the roof top tents.....the idea of climbing down the ladder to take care of whatever in the night and putting my foot through an
uke doesn't sound like fun.....If I need projection I'll just build a wall of carbon fiber ukes around me and call it good........

Last edited:
Go to bringatrailer dot com and search for l319d-camper-conversion...won't let me post the link.

Top Bottom