Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend cheap ukulele hard case

Default Recommend cheap ukulele hard case

Hi,

The cheapest hard case I found on line is

https://www.glarrymusic.com/glarry-u...black-p19.html

$30 each.

They look ok; but they only have feet on the bottom and don't have feet on the back/bottom sides (do you need them for ukulele? I know it is very useful for guitar cases).

I'll need 2 soprano and 2 concert cases, mainly for storing the ukuleles at home. They'll see some car travel, maybe once a week to the local ukulele club meets.

What do you think of these?
    Any recommendations for cheap hard cases?

Thanks.

oh, because they'll be mainly used for storage, I prefer the cases to be stackable.

I have one.

Noticeably lighter than my other hard cases. I think it's made of cardboard.

Still valid as a case though.

I think those styrofoam cases would be better protection. Wood edges, and more padding.

Edit - you added the "stackable" bit after I typed this!

Quote Originally Posted by chris667 View Post
    I have one.

Noticeably lighter than my other hard cases. I think it's made of cardboard.

Still valid as a case though.

I think those styrofoam cases would be better protection. Wood edges, and more padding.

Edit - you added the "stackable" bit after I typed this!
    How do you like them? Would you buy again at $30?

You were joking about the cardboard construction, right? I'm hoping they'd have plywood or fiberboard inside like the normal hard cases.

I have a cheap tweed soprano case from eBay, I bet the Glarry is very similar. The soprano case is very big; my Martin soprano floats in there, so both too long and too wide. In fact, my concert Flea fits perfectly in that soprano case. Otherwise, it is fine, good basic protection for short money. I'd recommend ordering 1 soprano case, then check the fit with your ukes. The concerts may possibly fit better in the soprano case.

7.jpg
    Concert Flea.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 05-17-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    John

Wow, thanks; that is really big for a soprano case. Good idea; I'll order one and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    How do you like them? Would you buy again at $30?

You were joking about the cardboard construction, right? I'm hoping they'd have plywood or fiberboard inside like the normal hard cases.
    Nope. Too light for plywood.

I have my high end ukes stored in hard cases mainly because they get humidified in the winter. But otherwise these cases are big and awkward for storage and transport. When I visit Hawaii I am always amazed that pretty much everyone there uses gig bags with straps to transport even their highest end K brand ukes. So yeah if you don't use soundhole humidifiers then there is no advantage to bulky hard cases.

My new custom tenor guilele came in one of these. Seems fairly sturdy, certainly adequate for home and local transport. I don't know that I'd fly with it, but it was shipped in it (inside a box with other packing materials of course) and no damage. As far as the "no feet on the end" - I don't think there's enough space to provide a stable base to stand up like that so that's probably why they don't come there.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

I have 3 of the Glarry concert size cases and I love them. I think they are a great value. For your intended purposes, storage at home and moving from home to ukulele club and back these would be more than adequate. I don't know what the interior construction is but it is not a cheap cardboard case. The material is hard and rigid so it is very protective. (Not check it as baggage on a plane protective but moving it around protective.) The concert size cases run smallish to no room to spare. My Ohanas fit snugly in them but they are too small for my concert sized Kala. For a cheap hard case I recommend them and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. They are my first go-to if I need another case and the uke will fit in it.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Thread Information