Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What strings on a longneck Concert?

Default What strings on a longneck Concert?

Hello,

What strings would you use on a longneck concert? In particular a KAMAKA HF-2L CONCERT LONGNECK? Would it still be concert strings or tenor because of the longer 17 scale neck? It comes with Kamaka strings already installed, anyone else swap them out with other brands and really liking them?

Thanks,

Kyle

Tenor for sure
    Cheers,
    Christian
    Can somebody save me from running my mouth, please?

Yes, tenor strings is the answer. These kinds of ukes are often called long neck concerts or super concerts or whatever, but ultimately it's the scale length of the instrument that matters, and the scale length in this case is tenor.

The usual answer is tenor because of the 17” tenor scale length. But you can use concert gauge strings if you want lower tension, brighter sound, more sustain. I owned a Kamaka super concert and a few other super concerts, don’t be afraid to experiment with a lighter string.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thank you very helping me with the question. I was going to start stocking up on concert strings, since all I play are tenors right now. Probably will try some concert strings at some point to see the difference.

I have KoAloha Opio acacia & Ohana mahogany tenor scale ukes on which I use Living Water low G fluorocarbons - I also use them on my tenor necked Ohana mahogany soprano bodied uke too.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I just picked up 3 packs of Low-G Living Water Strings yesterday and cant wait to try them out on one of my Tenors. I heard some really good things about them with an added Fremont Soloist as your Low-G fourth string! Its fun experimenting with tone/sound chasing. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    The usual answer is tenor because of the 17 tenor scale length. But you can use concert gauge strings if you want lower tension, brighter sound, more sustain.
    So as a rule of thumb, does putting smaller scale strings on a larger scale instrument typically cause lower tension? And larger scale strings on a smaller scale instrument makes for higher tension? Put another way, soprano strings on a tenor creates less tension? Tenor strings on a soprano is more tension?

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    So as a rule of thumb, does putting smaller scale strings on a larger scale instrument typically cause lower tension? And larger scale strings on a smaller scale instrument makes for higher tension? Put another way, soprano strings on a tenor creates less tension? Tenor strings on a soprano is more tension?
    Yes you are correct. Tenor strings are thickest in diameter, then concert, then soprano. The thicker or larger in diameter a string is the higher the tension on a given scale length.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Yes you are correct. Tenor strings are thickest in diameter, then concert, then soprano. The thicker or larger in diameter a string is the higher the tension on a given scale length.
    Thanks!

and more characters

Thread Information