Thread: Vintage Martin soprano question

Default Vintage Martin soprano question

Hi all. New to this forum but been a frequent visitor. My question is this...I have a beautiful vintage Martin style 0 soprano, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to how sturdy these things are? I ask because I plan to start hitting open mics once everything starts settling down and opening back up. Itís in excellent condition and I take very good care of my instruments but itís quite old and it just feels so fragile. Iíve been considering getting something new for that purpose, but I know it just wonít sound the same. My Martin is so resonant and I know thatís due to the the light construction. Itís also the only soprano Iíve ever had that actual sounds really cool with low g! So any input is welcome, especially from fellow vintage Martin owners. Thanks!

It should be no problem. People have used these for ages. Just make sure to put it in a safe place when you are not playing, such as a good hard case. One of the problems people often have is that they leave instruments around where they end up getting dropped, knocked over stepped one, etc. Play it and enjoy.

Definitely. I always keep it in a hard case with a humidifier when not in use. Thanks for input!

A low g on a Martin 0! Oh my. I would like to hear that.

Hey, they've been gracing stages worldwide since the 20s (the 1920s that is)! Just keep it in a hard case at gigs...and keep your eye on it, so it doesn't walk away!
    John

Haha! While it sounds it’s best high g, I thought it would be fun to hear how a Fremont soloist would sound. It really surprised me that it was quite useable, not for every song of course, but definitely works. I should put up a demo to prove that a low g can work on some (not all) sopranos.

Thread Information