Veneer for peg head or rosettes?

Explorer77

Reaction score
I have some beatiful veneers that I'd like to make a rosette and peg head from. I have several layers and was wondering if I laminated them together could I do that for this? Can you use veneers for this purpose or must I use a thicked piece of wood?

For the headplate, sure, no problem. That's what I've been using - just a single layer, but I suppose you could use more. HHG.

For a rosette, yes also, but it might be tricky. I was not especially successful. Ken Timms has a video of doing something like this quite ingeniously. Check his YouTube channel.

I checked Tim's Youtube and couldn't find it listed.. I guess I'll try experimenting with a lamination and see if it is suitable for this.

Thanks.. I was interested in a wider not linear rosette... thereby laminated for thickness so when thickness sanding there is some margin of comfort from sanding through..

Yes, I have used thin veneer for peghead decoration and it works well. You can get some real wild and beautiful wood veneer in those veneer packs. But as you said, the stuff tends to be pretty thin and the margin of comfort for sanding can be thin. As I remember the stuff was about 0.035 or even less which is pretty thin. Additionally when seen from the side it is a giveaway that thin veneer was used. To hide this I used to route out around the peghead and wrap binding hiding the thin veneer sides. For all the viewer knows it could be a quarter inch thick. Oh how we can fool the eye... Now I just use real wood thinned to about 3/8th. No sanding worries.

Top Bottom