Gotoh SGi510 Tuners

I have some on order from Japan that are expected to ship at the end of this month. I’m going to install them on my Kanile’a ‘ukulele. I’ll post a review when it’s all done.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I’ll do my best to address them.

Last edited:
What does your Kanile’a ‘ukulele have on it now? I'd be interested in the weight difference. Are you getting wood buttons? Some pics would be nice. I use the standard 510 minis on guitars and I appreciate the solid post feature which the UPTs don't have.

Both Kanile'a have decent Grover-type open-geared tuners on them now. I know from past experience that the headstock-adjacent side of the plate is stamped with a large "D" enclosing two smaller letters. I'll post pictures of the stock tuners when I post the review.

I'll be sure to document the mass of the Gotohs. I opted for plastic buttons, but I do have some compatible koa buttons that I might install on one of the ukes.

I put similar, less costly, tuners on other ukes. One problem with the Gotoh mini is that offset screw hole. I like to put geared tuners on Magic Fluke instruments, and that offset would have the screw sitting along in the air. I've found similar tuners with the screw hole at right angles to the tuner.

Did you post a review of them somewhere?
I'm also interested in them.
I think I posted a review of them, but I cannot find it at present.

The SGi510s are very nice though I sold the ukes I mounted them on for unrelated reasons. If you live in North America, I recommend ordering through Japarts in Canada. The main downsides to the SGI510s are the weight (they're closed geared tuners, so they are a touch heavy) and the difficulty of mounting (placing the holes for the small nubs that hold the tuners in place is difficulty; if you're doing a self-install, I'd recommend creating a guide for the purpose). I installed them on ukes I used for primarily outdoor ocean-side performances, and they excelled in that environment.

I think I posted a review of them, but I cannot find it at present.

The SGi510s are very nice though I sold the ukes I mounted them on for unrelated reasons. If you live in North America, I recommend ordering through Japarts in Canada. The main downsides to the SGI510s are the weight (they're closed geared tuners, so they are a touch heavy) and the difficulty of mounting (placing the holes for the small nubs that hold the tuners in place is difficulty; if you're doing a self-install, I'd recommend creating a guide for the purpose). I installed them on ukes I used for primarily outdoor ocean-side performances, and they excelled in that environment.
Thank you.

Top Bottom