Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Wunderhammer torrefied spruce + Koa soprano

Wink NUD: Wunderhammer torrefied spruce + Koa soprano

update: I made a mistake in the subject l, the spelling is wrong.
    website for the builder Liam Kirby: http://www.wunderkammerinstruments.co.uk/
    sample recorded by Liam himself for this uke:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_9g3Hun...d=ejk5v7r72b0z

Perfect for a lockdown! I just received this beauty after waiting for it to be built.
    This is a single piece torrefied spruce top soprano with beautiful Koa back and sides with rope binding.
    I requested for the extended fret board and gotoh planetary tuners.
    This soprano has a sound that surpasses its look.
    Will try to get a sound sample done but here is some eye candy!
    Gallery: https://kerneltime.smugmug.com/Ukule...ruce/n-pBQFck/
    Last edited by kerneltime; 05-27-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Notify of spelling error.

Looks amazing. Even the rope binding, which I'm not always a fan of, looks terrific. The rosette is especially beautiful, and the end graft too. Haha, whenever I see headstocks like that on a soprano, I want to turn the outer strings so they wind around the outside, like Martin does. What a beautiful uke.

I'm sure it sounds great too, I really like that wood combination. I wonder how Liam's sopranos compare with a Timms.

Oh my word... that thing is stunning. It's like the ultimate soprano. I'm speechless...

I knew Liam Kirby could do really nice ukes but this is just on another level. I think congratulations are in order. And I don't doubt that the sound is even better. I've heard Wunderkammer sopranos are among the best on the planet.

BTW, I don't know if that's a typo on the title but I certainly believe this sounds like a hammer when strummed hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    BTW, I don't know if that's a typo on the title but I certainly believe this sounds like a hammer when strummed hard.
    Haha, I didn't even notice that. I seem to recall an interview in which Liam Kirby said he really aims for loudness in his builds. I know he didn't mean volume is everything, but it automatically made me like him as a builder.

Congrats! Her sister's with me :

13_wunderkammer_fertig.jpg

Anyway, Liam playing your's made me place a new order right away. There's a taropatch coming my way sometime in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    I seem to recall an interview in which Liam Kirby said he really aims for loudness in his builds.
    There you go:

Congratulations, it looks absolutely fantastic! It's nice to see some high resolution photos of Liam's creation since he doesn't post a lot of finished builds on Instagram.

I'm also on Liam's waiting list. I'm pretty much set on a May soprano (the same model Christopher Davis-Shannon plays), although seeing this Ike makes me lust for both.

That's a beauty!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Wow, that is cool. That’s the best I’ve seen rope binding done. I like the back of the neck as well. Would love to hear it sometime. Enjoy!!!
    Kala Ka-ZTP-CTG-CE - Uke Logic - Low G Soft Tension
    Enya X2K Tenor - D'Addario EJ87T - High G

If you Uke easy, life will be hard. If you Uke hard, life will be easy.

Thread Information