NUD: Wunderhammer torrefied spruce + Koa soprano

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
update: I made a mistake in the subject l, the spelling is wrong.
website for the builder Liam Kirby: http://www.wunderkammerinstruments.co.uk/
sample recorded by Liam himself for this uke:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_9g3Hun1Dy/?igshid=ejk5v7r72b0z

Perfect for a lockdown! I just received this beauty after waiting for it to be built.
This is a single piece torrefied spruce top soprano with beautiful Koa back and sides with rope binding.
I requested for the extended fret board and gotoh planetary tuners.
This soprano has a sound that surpasses its look.
Will try to get a sound sample done but here is some eye candy!
Gallery: https://kerneltime.smugmug.com/Ukulele/Wunderhammer-torrefied-spruce/n-pBQFck/
i-cf2cSDF-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Looks amazing. Even the rope binding, which I'm not always a fan of, looks terrific. The rosette is especially beautiful, and the end graft too. Haha, whenever I see headstocks like that on a soprano, I want to turn the outer strings so they wind around the outside, like Martin does. What a beautiful uke.

I'm sure it sounds great too, I really like that wood combination. I wonder how Liam's sopranos compare with a Timms.

Oh my word... that thing is stunning. It's like the ultimate soprano. I'm speechless...

I knew Liam Kirby could do really nice ukes but this is just on another level. I think congratulations are in order. And I don't doubt that the sound is even better. I've heard Wunderkammer sopranos are among the best on the planet.

BTW, I don't know if that's a typo on the title but I certainly believe this sounds like a hammer when strummed hard. :D

BTW, I don't know if that's a typo on the title but I certainly believe this sounds like a hammer when strummed hard. :D

Haha, I didn't even notice that. I seem to recall an interview in which Liam Kirby said he really aims for loudness in his builds. I know he didn't mean volume is everything, but it automatically made me like him as a builder.

Congratulations, it looks absolutely fantastic! It's nice to see some high resolution photos of Liam's creation since he doesn't post a lot of finished builds on Instagram.

I'm also on Liam's waiting list. I'm pretty much set on a May soprano (the same model Christopher Davis-Shannon plays), although seeing this Ike makes me lust for both. :iwant:

Wow, that is cool. That’s the best I’ve seen rope binding done. I like the back of the neck as well. Would love to hear it sometime. Enjoy!!!

:drool:

Just beautiful. His instruments look timeless

Looks amazing. Even the rope binding, which I'm not always a fan of, looks terrific. The rosette is especially beautiful, and the end graft too. Haha, whenever I see headstocks like that on a soprano, I want to turn the outer strings so they wind around the outside, like Martin does. What a beautiful uke.

I'm sure it sounds great too, I really like that wood combination. I wonder how Liam's sopranos compare with a Timms.
I am not sure I can compare as Ken’s sopranos I have are mahogany and koa and this one is torrefied spruce.
They both replicate the vintage sound really well. I have not played the 2 back to back to articulate the difference. Within Ken Timms ukes, the type of wood does make a difference too so comparison would be hard... I guess what I am saying is that they are both great ukes and in the looks department this one takes the cake. I think Ken has more ukes under his belt or at least has the process down to perfection to replicate the vintage martins. Liam has a different build philosophy where he is more hands on in his builds and it shows up as personality. As in, Liam can give individual names to the ukes he makes where as Ken makes his ukes to be consistent and same...
For a brief period I had 2 style 0 ukes from Ken with the same wood and I could not tell which one was which without looking at the labels.. I doubt an owner of 2 Wunderhammer will have the same problem. Both are good things, you can never go wrong with Ken’s ukes and you can customize a Wunderkammer.

Last edited:
I am not sure I can compare as Ken’s sopranos I have are mahogany and koa and this one is torrefied spruce.
They both replicate the vintage sound really well. I have not played the 2 back to back to articulate the difference. Within Ken Timms ukes, the type of wood does make a difference too so comparison would be hard... I guess what I am saying is that they are both great ukes and in the looks department this one takes the cake. I think Ken has more ukes under his belt or at least has the process down to perfection to replicate the vintage martins. Liam has a different build philosophy where he is more hands on in his builds and it shows up as personality. As in, Liam can give individual names to the ukes he makes where as Ken makes his ukes to be consistent and same...
For a brief period I had 2 style 0 ukes from Ken with the same wood and I could not tell which one was which without looking at the labels.. I doubt an owner of 2 Wunderhammer will have the same problem. Both are good things, you can never go wrong with Ken’s ukes and you can customize a Wunderkammer.

Thanks, I was just curious. I realize they're different woods, but Timms was the closest soprano I could think of that I had experience with.

Last edited:
I changed the strings yesterday and put on m605 martin and it is a lot louder! Waiting for strings to settle down. Initially it came with Aquila Lava.
I noticed that the strings were not coming off and then I realized that this is my favorite bridge. It allows for both knotted and pass through style for strings! I love that aesthetically it looks like a vintage bridge and works as one and caters to folks like me who love pass through bridges.
i-V7bFzxg-X4.jpg

Wow, lots of fluff under the varnish

By pass through, do you mean that the strings go through the bridge inside the sound chamber?

By pass through, do you mean that the strings go through the bridge inside the sound chamber?

That is what pass through means, yes. Pass them through then tie the knot or add a bead.

Top Bottom