Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uke Bass/U-Bass - Round Wound vs Rubber strings???

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    The round wounds on Kalas are the same octave as Kalas with Pahoehoes, and a regular bass guitar. There's also a flatwound string available. The issue with changing from Poly to steel is that the steel strings are thinner, so the nut should be changed. Also, you may want to lower the action since the steels need less room to vibrate.
    Ok, well I stand corrected. I have played a steel strung Kala U-Bass and I remembered it being like the Luna U-Bass style instrument but maybe I'm wrong. The steel strings are still thinner than the polyurethane strings.

I forgot to mention that I've also used Aquila Thunder Reds, but they're only slightly less sticky and I find that color is important to me too, how well strings match the bass. I do use creme color Thunderguts on 3 of my basses because they match better than black Pahoehoe. So far the Thunder Reds, nor when I tried Pahoehoe bright Rasta red and yellow, looked right.

I also use solid metal flatwounds on all my mini solid body magnetic pickup basses and a couple solid body Hadean piezo under saddle, MBLS MicroBass that La Bella makes for Gold Tone. My favorite over all.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    Ok, well I stand corrected. I have played a steel strung Kala U-Bass and I remembered it being like the Luna U-Bass style instrument but maybe I'm wrong. The steel strings are still thinner than the polyurethane strings.
    Yea I believe it might be a different type of U Bass that youíre referring to.
    I decided to take a photo of my Kala Journeyman next to one of my regular standard tuned bass guitars, and Iím beyond shocked that the Kala has even slightly thicker strings! I can definitely confirm that they are both tuned to the same octave.
    My photobucket account has expired so Iíve attached the photo here instead.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I forgot to mention that I've also used Aquila Thunder Reds, but they're only slightly less sticky and I find that color is important to me too, how well strings match the bass. I do use creme color Thunderguts on 3 of my basses because they match better than black Pahoehoe. So far the Thunder Reds, nor when I tried Pahoehoe bright Rasta red and yellow, looked right.
    Absolutely! I think the red strings would look great on my red U Bass.
    So you would recommend the Aquila Thunder Reds for both sound quality and aesthetics?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KevinTJH; 05-22-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTJH View Post
    Absolutely! I think the red strings would look great on my red U Bass. So you would recommend the Aquila Thunder Reds for both sound quality and aesthetics?
    I guess I wasn't clear, the Thunder Red color has not matched any bass I have, I used them for a short while because they came on the Aquila ShortBassOne I bought from Aquila and replaced them with steel flatwound. Actually, I just sold my Red Journeyman, but specifically used the Thunderguts because the creme color matched the binding so well. It came with the Kala round wound metal nylon core that I hated. I personally think the Thunder Red color clashes with the Journeyman red. I always prefer Pahoehoe over Aquila, the Thunder Reds and Thunderguts are only OK for me.

Last edited by kohanmike; 05-22-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

hello guys,
    merely for educational purposes:

https://youtu.be/Lxf0mDl2VUQ

Mimmo

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post

I also use solid metal flatwounds on all my mini solid body magnetic pickup basses and a couple solid body Hadean piezo under saddle, MBLS MicroBass that La Bella makes for Gold Tone. My favorite over all.
    Are the Thunder reds similar surface to the white thunderguts?

In my Aquila 5 string set, only the lowest B string was red. It had a satin, slippery feel, identical to Aquila red strings for Ukulele.

Off topic. I got rid of the U-Bass and got a Taylor mini-bass. I’ve been very satisfied with the GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Off topic. I got rid of the U-Bass and got a Taylor mini-bass. I’ve been very satisfied with the GS.
    Likewise I got rid of my U-Bass and got a Hofner shortscale violin bass with flatwounds and haven't looked back

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    Are the Thunder reds similar surface to the white thunderguts? In my Aquila 5 string set, only the lowest B string was red. It had a satin, slippery feel, identical to Aquila red strings for Ukulele.
    I think the Reds are slightly smoother than the Guts and slightly thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
    hello guys,
    merely for educational purposes:
    This is pretty cool! Great idea for a cigar-box bass as well as the bari-mod. Thanks for sharing!

Thread Information