How to read a finger picking tab.

Ron Carter

Reaction score
I have a copy of R.J.Putters Yesterday by the Beatles in lowG. I strum the song now so the chords are familiar. Is there a tutorial for interpreting the symbols on the tab? Clearly I'm not a trained musician and am 90% self taught. Teacher is unavailable for the duration.

Google "tablature notation" and you'll find lots of help. Unfortunately, not everyone uses the same symbols.

Most are very simple. You read from left to right. There is a line for each string. The string closest to your face is the line at the bottom the one closest to your leg at the top. Numbers on the lines reflect the fret number to be played. If there are several numbers in the same position then they get played at the same time, otherwise just follow left to right. Other optional symbols should be explained on the tab or follow standard musical notation.

Thank you all for the replies. They are most useful and will help me improve my playing. This place seems to be full of people willing to help an untalented beginner succeed.

Top Bottom