Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple uke owners: how do you pick/rotate which uke to play?

Default Multiple uke owners: how do you pick/rotate which uke to play?

I know there are a lot of multiple uke owners out there and I was wondering, how do you choose which uke to play and how do you go about making sure that all of them get played? It must be rough for those who have tens or dozens of ukes. I'm currently at five ukes and I'm seriously considering a sixth. I don't currently have a system but I'll play one for a couple of weeks and then I'll switch to another that hasn't been played the longest. I'm under the line of thought that if I have it and plan on keeping it then I need to be playing it!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

My mind set evolved from “if I have them I got to play them all the time” to I play which one I feel like playing. I have all the sizes so if I feel like a certain song sounds better on soprano or concert of low G tenor I will play that. Other songs are almost exclusively played on baritones. Then there is high G vs low G and with all my tenors it’s what tone do I feel like hearing, deep and resonant......bright chirpy and loud etc.

If you plan on playing ukulele for the next 20-30 years a big bunch of ukuleles will all get played. Variety is the spice of life as they say
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have nine ukes, with one being a beater uke that hangs on a stand in my computer/music room so can I grab it at a moments notice, that's the one I play the most at home. The rest are in a humidified cabinet I made from a bookcase shelf in the livingroom. When I used to go to a meetup in the park on Sunday afternoons, I always rotate through the group. I signed on to more online uke jams, so I can continue to rotate through them.

I normally play bass uke with my seniors uke group, there are two of us because we have about 60 members playing most gigs, but when we do small gigs with ten or twelve of us, one will play bass, the other uke, so I will rehearse for a few days with the one I chose for the gig. Next time that happens, I use a different uke. But gigs are out for now so I make up for it with the online jams.

When it comes to bass ukes, I have 30 and because we meet twice a week, in person before and now online, I make a very concerted effort to rotate between all of them.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    My mind set evolved from “if I have them I got to play them all the time” to I play which one I feel like playing. I have all the sizes so if I feel like a certain song sounds better on soprano or concert of low G tenor I will play that. Other songs are almost exclusively played on baritones. Then there is high G vs low G and with all my tenors it’s what tone do I feel like hearing, deep and resonant......bright chirpy and loud etc.

If you plan on playing ukulele for the next 20-30 years a big bunch of ukuleles will all get played. Variety is the spice of life as they say
    Yep. That's what I do too.

How do I pick which one to play? I play the one I feel like playing at the time. I know it sounds a bit trite, but it is true. They have a slightly different sound and feel, and it depends on my mood. I will get into ruts, where I play the same one almost exclusively for a while, but then I will hit a song that I really want a particular sound for, and switch it up.

How do I make sure they all get played? I don't. I've given up on that. The instruments don't really complain, since they are just wood. I do de-tune them if I know I won't be playing them for a while.

I do feel bad sometimes, as I have some very nice instruments that don't get played as much as they deserve to be played, but it is what it is. I am going to re-home some of the more neglected ones, although now does not seem to be much of a sellers market, if Reverb listings are any indication.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

I have about a dozen ukes, with most of them being bought in the last year. I do my best to practice with all of them regularly. The reason for me playing multiple ukes is to listen (and learn) how different one uke can sound from another. I'm still amazed how different woods, sizes, strings, and construction can make the same note "sound" so different. (And Mikelz777, thanks for your comments on the Kala KA-FMCG; I took advantage of the great price + 20% off to add a spruce top concert to the collection.)

At any one practice session, I usually go through all the ukes of the same size, focusing on the one I want to listen to for whatever reason. I'm not able to easily switch sizes without missing a few fret positions for some minutes which seems like a waste of practice time.

Regarding playing, I regularly change my reasons for why I play one over another depending on what I'm playing, but in general, I like the sopranos for strumming and the concerts for finger picking. Some day I may sell all but one tenor; my older, slightly arthritic hands never seem too happy with tenors.

I have five ukes and each has a unique role. The concert uke is my go to for playing at home, learning new songs, and just to have around. Then I have two tenors that are used for playing out and if course serious practice for getting ready to play out. One is a six string that gets most of the strumming work and the other a linear for fingerstyle and some of the strummed songs. Then there is another concert that is tuned in fifths that I wanted to learn playing but sadly never got around to as I am too busy with regular ukes. Finally a long neck soprano for travelling and situations where I don't want to take the expensive solid wood ukes. It was also adopted by my girlfriend who is now getting into uke as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    (And Mikelz777, thanks for your comments on the Kala KA-FMCG; I took advantage of the great price + 20% off to add a spruce top concert to the collection.)
    Here's some pics of mine to whet your appetite! The back has a nice almost 3-D flame/curl that I can't capture in pictures. Even the spruce top has a little flame in it.

thumbnail_IMG_2233.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2236.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2238.jpg
    Last edited by mikelz777; 05-21-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Kind of like the John Lennon song, "Whatever Gets You Through The Night", it's whatever I feel like at the moment. No rhyme or reason. Really, the only regular exception is when I restring. I'll play that uke for a few days until the tuning settles in.
    I am however far more partial to concert or baritone size and tend to play the tenors and sopranos somewhat less frequently.

It might not be popular to say, but I think I have too many. Even with a "horses for courses" approach where I try to have different sizes (I like them all) with different stringing for different songs, moods, and occasions, I find the biggest limiting factor to be time. I have some that just don't get played.

So I'm trying to put together a master list of ukuleles I'd like to have/keep. Which is difficult, because there are so many different ukes I'd like to try. But I don't think I have the time, energy, or space to go through dozens and dozens of instruments like some people seem able to do. So I've been trying to be more strategic about which ukes to try. And though I hate selling, which ukes I should let go.

Thread Information