Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multiple uke owners: how do you pick/rotate which uke to play?

I use guilt as my guide. I cut down my collection to two instruments, one for linear tuning and one for re-entrant tuning. I heavily favor the linear tuning. However, whenever I feel that it has been a while since I've regaled myself with that shrill re-entrant sound I will switch out my ukuleles and justify having the re-entrant ukulele

I have 6, 3 tenors and 3 concerts. The concerts are entry level. The tenors are high end, a Kamaka,Kanilea and KoAloha. I only play the tenors presently. When I'm working on something new, I rotate instruments to see which particular uke works best for that piece.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I use guilt as my guide. I cut down my collection to two instruments, one for linear tuning and one for re-entrant tuning. I heavily favor the linear tuning. However, whenever I feel that it has been a while since I've regaled myself with that shrill re-entrant sound I will switch out my ukuleles and justify having the re-entrant ukulele
    Guilt! Guilt has played a big part in my entire ukulele history! My 2nd uke was pretty guilt-free but every one after that has had some degree of guilt for spending even more money on something I didn't need. Guilt over having "too many" ukes made me sell my first uke which I regret to this day. It was a starter+ but I loved that uke. I felt guilt over the losses I took selling three ukes I never bonded with. I think it's guilt which makes me want to give each of my five ukes a roughly equal amount of play time. The beauty in that is that I really love all of them so there's never a bad pick to switch to. It's fun to switch them up fairly regularly because it's kind of like getting a new uke every couple of weeks.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I play whichever one the voices inside my head suggest on any given day.

Scooter
    Martin Konter Uke Style 1K soprano
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Soprano Martin Backpacker Ukulele
    Soprano “Uke Can Change The World” Flea
    Soprano Firefly (wood fretboard)
    iUke Bound Natural Pineapple piccolo mini
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (wood fretboard)
    Concert Eddy Finn moon and Stars
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Koa Fluke (wood fretboard)
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany slothead

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Guilt! Guilt has played a big part in my entire ukulele history! My 2nd uke was pretty guilt-free but every one after that has had some degree of guilt for spending even more money on something I didn't need. Guilt over having "too many" ukes made me sell my first uke which I regret to this day. It was a starter+ but I loved that uke. I felt guilt over the losses I took selling three ukes I never bonded with. I think it's guilt which makes me want to give each of my five ukes a roughly equal amount of play time. The beauty in that is that I really love all of them so there's never a bad pick to switch to. It's fun to switch them up fairly regularly because it's kind of like getting a new uke every couple of weeks.
    I’ve never felt much guilt over the often inevitable loss when reselling. I just consider it tuition in the learning process. Then, with the benefit of experience, I can post very well-considered comments regarding this ukulele and that on the internet... which comments, needless to say, are more often ignored than not.

Be that as it may, a week ago I probably would have said I was done buying more ukuleles for the foreseeable future... but then I bought three more in as many days :/

Getting back to the OP - I don’t have any system to figure out which of my ukes to play other than getting an urge to pick up this one or that one and have at it.
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 05-22-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

I have four ukes, of which I play at least two 6 days/week. When selecting which uke to play, I choose the one with the most appropriate compromises for the task at hand.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

I have 4, plus an Electric Telelele (6 strings, A-A)

For performance, I usually have a high G tenor (Romero) and a low G tenor (Kanile’a). Sometimes I use the TeleLele for low G songs.

My Kamaka Lili 6 gets used in place of a 12 string guitar, like when we do Come Sail Away. I could see bringing the Lili instead of the high G Romero on occasion. I prefer to use the Lili when I have to sing.

Ohana baritone is a fantastic sounding instrument, but so far it’s mostly around the house. I think I took it to 1 gig. I could always capo 5 and convert it to a low G tenor tuning, but the dots would be in the wrong places.
    "The Natives Are Restless” by Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads. Used by Romero Tiny Tenor for 99.5% of the lead work on this album.

Kinda depends on where I'm gonna play - indoors, outdoors (could get rained on), how crowded the place is, location (nursing home, club, park, house), need to amp? + overall feeling that day.

Also, none of my ukes are in cases, but hanging in various spots around the house. I tend to grab the nearest one unless it’s for something specific.
    "The Natives Are Restless” by Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads. Used by Romero Tiny Tenor for 99.5% of the lead work on this album.

I play tenors. My first consideration for play/practice is: Re-entrant or Linear? Since I've been trying to learn fingerstyle and TABs, High-g tenors are presently being played more often. If I'm strumming, I prefer the sound of a Low-G.

If I have a new instrument, I usually play that unless the strings are still settling.
    Often there is a sound I have in mind, and I'll play the uke that fulfills that. (Most recently, I find myself reaching for a recently acquired Takumi Koa TT1K, strung re-entrant with Living Waters which has a particularly gorgeous ring to it.)

I have a Godin, I don't play often. I have to be in the right mood or playing appropriate music to play a banjo uke. Ditto, my 8-string.

With the quarantine, I have deliberately gone through all of my instruments and played them for a day. Producing some rather surprising results. A handful of tenors I used to adore, no longer appeal to me as much. Whilst others that I long had a "Meh" feeling about, now seem quite excellent.

To me, this is the fun of owning several ukes. It gives me options. They all sound and play differently.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information