Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multiple uke owners: how do you pick/rotate which uke to play?

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

There is no system but with only 3 it's pretty easy to figure it out......one is strung low G so that's gets some consideration....and the the Godin sometimes gets reserved for when no one is home and I went to crank it up a bit......sometime I play all three in a day.....

I have more than I need from sopranino to baritone But seem to like the tenors best. I have them hanging in the family room, living room and upstairs music room. Some are in their cases but I find if I see them I play them. When I start working on a song I’ll play them on every uke and then narrow it down to several tenors - said I have too many. Then, I finish polishing it up on the selected tenor. I find I only really play 5 or 6 most of the time. I do rotate out 1 or 2. Then when I’m feeling justified, I start playing the song on my guitars. And I’m not even a good player!

I have lots. I change when I fancy trying something different. If I don't play them for too long, I move them on.

I go to whichever one grabs me at the time. There is no logic to it. I keep one right next to my desk but change it now and then, again with no reasoning. My Pono is by far the quietest and we do have annoyingly over sensitive upstairs neighbours so that tends to be my early morning uke but at other times I let my instinct decide.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

I just throw a dart. Which ever uke it sticks in, I play. Best is when I get a bullseye: clean through the soundhole, and out through the back.

Ok, reality is I always have one lying out nearby, usually it is the concert Flea, which I'll start with, then decide whether to switch high or low G tenor, or soprano. I imagine my choices would be more difficult with more than 4 ukes...but who needs more than 4 ukes?
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 05-22-2020 at 03:10 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I just throw a dart. Which ever uke it sticks in, I play. Best is when I get a bullseye: clean through the soundhole, and out through the back.

:
    Tsk, tsk.... advanced players use Nerf guns
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

I only have three of them at the moment, but only one of them gets regular playing. The other two are pretty much ignored. I'm probably being mean and hurting their feelings by not playing them, but I don't care.
    Last edited by Rllink; 05-22-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Each of mine has a slightly different tone or feel, different scales & body sizes, acoustic & solid body, with pickups & not - plus I have two in re entrant tuning(!), with different strings!

When I was doing The Seasons, I'd just pick one up & give it a try, to see if I thought it sounded right, then use it.

Nowadays, I just pick which ever I feel like.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Every now and then go look at your collection switch the ukes that are outside and you are not playing with the ones you miss. Keep different sizes, low and high G ukes accessible. If you find a particular uke never leaves the closet, sell them.

Now that I'm playing exclusively at home, I don't have to worry about a good one getting damaged, so I can play anything. I have two online jams a week, and I bring two or more ukes to each one - generally ukes that are considerably different: uke and banjo uke; sopranissimo and tenor; cigar box and standard.

EDIT: At one time, I used a random number generator to pick which one I would play.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information