Multiple uke owners: how do you pick/rotate which uke to play?

I have 6, 3 tenors and 3 concerts. The concerts are entry level. The tenors are high end, a Kamaka,Kanilea and KoAloha. I only play the tenors presently. When I'm working on something new, I rotate instruments to see which particular uke works best for that piece.

I use guilt as my guide. I cut down my collection to two instruments, one for linear tuning and one for re-entrant tuning. I heavily favor the linear tuning. However, whenever I feel that it has been a while since I've regaled myself with that shrill re-entrant sound I will switch out my ukuleles and justify having the re-entrant ukulele

Guilt! Guilt has played a big part in my entire ukulele history! My 2nd uke was pretty guilt-free but every one after that has had some degree of guilt for spending even more money on something I didn't need. Guilt over having "too many" ukes made me sell my first uke which I regret to this day. It was a starter+ but I loved that uke. I felt guilt over the losses I took selling three ukes I never bonded with. I think it's guilt which makes me want to give each of my five ukes a roughly equal amount of play time. The beauty in that is that I really love all of them so there's never a bad pick to switch to. It's fun to switch them up fairly regularly because it's kind of like getting a new uke every couple of weeks.

I play whichever one the voices inside my head suggest on any given day.

Scooter

Guilt! Guilt has played a big part in my entire ukulele history! My 2nd uke was pretty guilt-free but every one after that has had some degree of guilt for spending even more money on something I didn't need. Guilt over having "too many" ukes made me sell my first uke which I regret to this day. It was a starter+ but I loved that uke. I felt guilt over the losses I took selling three ukes I never bonded with. I think it's guilt which makes me want to give each of my five ukes a roughly equal amount of play time. The beauty in that is that I really love all of them so there's never a bad pick to switch to. It's fun to switch them up fairly regularly because it's kind of like getting a new uke every couple of weeks.

I’ve never felt much guilt over the often inevitable loss when reselling. I just consider it tuition in the learning process. Then, with the benefit of experience, I can post very well-considered comments regarding this ukulele and that on the internet... which comments, needless to say, are more often ignored than not.

Be that as it may, a week ago I probably would have said I was done buying more ukuleles for the foreseeable future... but then I bought three more in as many days :/

Getting back to the OP - I don’t have any system to figure out which of my ukes to play other than getting an urge to pick up this one or that one and have at it.

Last edited:
I have four ukes, of which I play at least two 6 days/week. When selecting which uke to play, I choose the one with the most appropriate compromises for the task at hand.

I have 4, plus an Electric Telelele (6 strings, A-A)

For performance, I usually have a high G tenor (Romero) and a low G tenor (Kanile’a). Sometimes I use the TeleLele for low G songs.

My Kamaka Lili 6 gets used in place of a 12 string guitar, like when we do Come Sail Away. I could see bringing the Lili instead of the high G Romero on occasion. I prefer to use the Lili when I have to sing.

Ohana baritone is a fantastic sounding instrument, but so far it’s mostly around the house. I think I took it to 1 gig. I could always capo 5 and convert it to a low G tenor tuning, but the dots would be in the wrong places.

Kinda depends on where I'm gonna play - indoors, outdoors (could get rained on), how crowded the place is, location (nursing home, club, park, house), need to amp? + overall feeling that day.

Also, none of my ukes are in cases, but hanging in various spots around the house. I tend to grab the nearest one unless it’s for something specific.

I play tenors. My first consideration for play/practice is: Re-entrant or Linear? Since I've been trying to learn fingerstyle and TABs, High-g tenors are presently being played more often. If I'm strumming, I prefer the sound of a Low-G.

If I have a new instrument, I usually play that unless the strings are still settling.
Often there is a sound I have in mind, and I'll play the uke that fulfills that. (Most recently, I find myself reaching for a recently acquired Takumi Koa TT1K, strung re-entrant with Living Waters which has a particularly gorgeous ring to it.)

I have a Godin, I don't play often. I have to be in the right mood or playing appropriate music to play a banjo uke. Ditto, my 8-string.

With the quarantine, I have deliberately gone through all of my instruments and played them for a day. Producing some rather surprising results. A handful of tenors I used to adore, no longer appeal to me as much. Whilst others that I long had a "Meh" feeling about, now seem quite excellent.

To me, this is the fun of owning several ukes. It gives me options. They all sound and play differently.

I used to have a system for guitars: during normal daytime hours, I usually play acoustic; during mornings and evenings, I play electric with headphones or unplugged. So, I have an electric and an acoustic guitar hanging on the wall; I further have an acoustic for outside-the-home use that's cased. Since I'm also not too picky about guitars to where I'd only want (for example) a les paul or strat sound, I limited myself to only 3 (where each new purchase must replace a current guitar).

I'm still pretty new at ukulele, so I don't know what my optimal number is. I'm currently thinking that I want 4 ukuleles (2 concerts and 2 sopranos of the same make/model) for the first few years. Anyway, I'm trying that idea out.

I have four ukes on the wall that will be coming with us to Hawaii when we move this summer. I've got my Ohana TK39 tuned to A tuning reentrant, and it sounds fantastically mellow and rich -- which makes it great to play along to some slack-key music with or just jam at a bit of a lower key. Then my Kamaka is tuned low G, I use it for pretty much anything and pick it up when I want to fingerpick and play anything with. My Koaloha is a six stringer and is perfect to strum and sing with! Finally, my 1928 Harmony is in standard tuning reentrant, and is a great plucker and strummer and I pick it up any time I want to go tin pan alley or banjo, really.

I can see myself adding ukes when I get over there, but for now I need to pause or I'm just creating more of a shipping headache for myself.

Top Bottom