Hello from Seattle

Dartmouthbrian

Reaction score
New member here from the Seattle area. Nice to meet you all. Aside from playing Uke, I also play bass and was a drummer growing up. I’m on the hunt for the perfect soprano ukulele currently. Have one? Let me know!

I’m an avid Land Rover fan. I daily drive an LR3 and own a 73 and a 63 Land Rover.

Welcome aboard! I owned a LandRover Series 3 long wheelbase for ten years,and had many camping and mountaineering adventures in the beast! They used to be made thirty miles or so down the road from me, and mine had the engine size upgraded from two and a quarter litre, to two and a half!

Welcome to the forum, Dartmouthbrain. So, you want the perfect soprano, do you? If I had to choose just one uke, there are many basic, solid mahogany sopranos that would fit the bill perfectly. As the old saying goes, "It ain't what you've got - it's what you do with it".

You might be interested in something I saw during a trip to North Wales, back in 2003.

John Colter
In need of some TLC - Aug 2003.jpg

Hi Dartmouthbrian, Uncle Rod Higuchi here from STRUM, (Seattles Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians).

one of our members, Kerry Bannister, Lynnwood, WA, makes great-sounding ukuleles.
when we are able to meet together again, we will congregate at the Kona Kitchen Restaurant on
Wednesday evenings, 6-8p.

We generally meet at the Ballard Locks from June through August
when the weather is better. You can meet Kerry then and play some of his ukes. :)

we will be particpating in the Northwest Folklife Home to Home virtual event this Sunday the 24th
at 5p (nwfolklifestreaming.org).

Please feel free to contact me at (rohiguchi@gmail.com).

I have several of Kerry's ukuleles and especially enjoy playing a longneck soprano and a 5-string
longneck soprano.

keep uke'in',

PS notice from STRUM:

If you didn't see this on FB, Uncle Rod is representing STRUM on NW Folklife virtual " home to home" event this weekend!
He will play three "sing along" songs, showing our song sheets each time so play along! This SUNDAY 5/24/2020 at 5:05 PM
Lots of music, dance, and workshops ! Please take a look.

Our Kona'ikaplia friend and musician Kory Tideman is also doing a slack key session, and a group from Winter Grass are also performing playing, and another teaching Sea Chantey , so many amazing things to view.
more information
https://www.nwfolklifestreaming.org/

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, Dartmouthbrian!

You're so fortunate to have STRUM and Uncle Rod Higuchi so near. It sounds as if there are some very special sopranos to try out there once you can meet people again.

Thanks everyone!! That is so cool. I didn’t know something like STRUM existed! Makes me even more excited. I am fairly new to playing Uke. I’ve had a couple laying around for a year or two. But just recently picked them back up. Both are concert models. Love them!! So now the hunt is on for a soprano and then I’m sure I’ll move into a baritone or even bass Uke. Glad I found a home of folks who are enjoying these little instruments!

Dartmouthbrian,

I'm currently at MLK and Massachussetts (rohiguchi@gmail.com) please contact me with any
questions about STRUM.

I posted/uploaded some videos onto YouTube (search 'Uncle Rod Amapola' for example, or
'uncle rod ukulele songs').

during the lockdown we generally meet on Zoom on Friday nights, however, tonight's Zoom
session has been cancelled for a special event, sorry. Perhaps we will see you next Friday.
email me and I will send you the link for the next STRUM Zoom session :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom